• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech cold water nano

Akhmaat

Hello, I am setting up a low tech, cold water (will be quite cold at night now in winter) tank for cherry shrimp and snails. It's almost complete, I just need some small plant for the foreground. Could you advise any? Thanks 😊

will be quite cold at night now in winter
How cold do you think? Just curious. I believe many plants will be quite okay down to some 16-17 C (will lower the plants metabolism quite a bit as well)... the Cherries - while not super ideal - are quite tolerant and should be fine too.

Cheers,
Michael

Cherries have gone down to 6c for me. Just saying the unheated greenhouse pond still has a colony…

Cherries have gone down to 6c for me
Thats record territory... For how long if I may ask?

Some dwarf shrimps are anecdotally known to sustain pretty crazy adverse conditions for a shorter amount of time... akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight and still win!

Here is a paper quoting a low as 11.8 C.... Non-native red cherry shrimp found in Hungary:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello, I am setting up a low tech, cold water (will be quite cold at night now in winter) tank for cherry shrimp and snails. It's almost complete, I just need some small plant for the foreground. Could you advise any? Thanks 😊
For me, Helanthium bolivianum ‘Quadricostatus’ has been completely bomb-proof under those types of conditions.

Thats record territory... For how long if I may ask?

Some dwarf shrimps are anecdotally known to sustain pretty crazy adverse conditions for a shorter amount of time... akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight and still win!

Here is a paper quoting a low as 11.8 C.... Non-native red cherry shrimp found in Hungary:

Cheers,
Michael

Many winters…

There is a greater variety in neocaridinia, and I can’t be 100% they’re davidi. 🤷‍♂️

Back