• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Light plants for Iwagumi

rohitsingh_81

Seedling
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and this is my 1st post. I have a 13Gallon planted tank with following setup:

Tank: 13 Gallon
Light: 15Watt T8 (6500K) single tube
Filter: Jebo Canister with Pressurized CO2 plugged in filter inlet
Temp: 26-29C

I am planning to re-scape my tank and after through research, decided on going about for Iwagumi. Last 20 days of search have got me some nice stones, now I have following questions.

1. Can garden stones disturb water chemistry ? Should I only put stones from LFS.... (they are really expensive) ?

2. Will Lava rocks look good for Iwagumi ?

3. Considering mine as low light setup, what are good plants I can plan for my new setup ?

4. I want a good carpet perhaps with diverse plants however if the same is not achievable, I am decided on Java Moss carpet. Any alternative suggestions on carpet for low light?

5. After tons of research, I am unable to find KNO3, KH2PO4 & K2SO4 in Singapore. My LFS sell MGSO4 & Calcuim Sulphate for dry chemicals. Is it okay to dose what is available at my LFS ? Are there any other supplements that I should dose in addition if I put MGSO4 & calcium Sulplate ? Any suggestions on good ferts if I cannot find dry powders ?

Thank you very much in advance

- Rohit

Welcome to the Forum rohitsingh_81 ( thats not an easy nick name to remember :lol: )

It is perfectly possible to do a great iwagumi in low light/low-tech.

E.Parvula, Pogostemon Heferi, valis. You can even use moss as a fourgound/cover plant.

Easy Carbo will help no end, and adding potassium(K) also seems to be the trick. Plenty of good hygine and water changes, over filtration, all help the cause.

The key with a good Iwagum is the positions of the rocks, not so much the rocks them selfs, though interesting textures are a key feature when picking stone.
Lava stone could look interesting, but my be difficult to look iwagumi style. Good positioning, working with points,triangles and odd numbers will help. Dont let a stone dominate unless it has balance, either with open space or with supporting stones. Take time to study previous iwagumis and natural rock formations too.
As long as you dont use lime stone, you shouldn't have any problems.

Plant as thick as possible from the outset and do 2 big water changers a week until things fill right in, then, back off the water changes to get to the 50% once weekly.

Cheers.

Back