• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low light cold water carpet? (with CO2)

humdingerx

Hi there! Could someone please suggest a carpeting plant that would work in a low light cold water (18-20C) tank? It is CO2 injected and ferts being dosed.

It's a dirt substrate with sand cap.

I would like to attempt to have it eventually grow out into some kind of grasslike carpet. I realise the ones often seen online are high light/high co2 and usually warmer water too but I don't want/need to go high light or warmer water at the moment.

Hi, I think, you can try Micranthemum sp. Monte Carlo.

Lilaeopsis mauritiana? It's grass-like and whilst I haven't kept it cold in a tank it seems very happy on my chilly winter window sill.

Monte Carlo is high light? I suppose it doesn't have to be grass like, just small leaves carpet that won't grow too high.. Lilaeopsis mauritiana looks interesting too. I do have a LED strip I could push onto the tank at a lower level as well I suppose to help increase the light level near the substrate a bit more, if that helps.

In Lowtech aquariums MonteCarlo grows slower, but it can grow 5cm high, and it's a beautifull carpet.
for egsample:
My friends Mid-Tech Aquarium (after 1,5 month) what I built.
15286127844_1d9472152c_c.jpg

Golden Peaks - 86 L Iwagumi by andras.czesznak, on Flickr

But if you want directly grasslike carpet you can use Lilaeopsis mauritania, or brasiliensis, Echinodorus tenellus, Saggitaria subulata, Littorella uniflora. But! they grow slower in cold water.

Would 'monte carlo' grow on flourite without any source of co2?

I'd like to know this too. I'm going to try the Monte Carlo in my main tank but I also have a small tank with no CO2 (but has more light) so would be interested in answer to this question too. Anyone?

I'd like to know this too. I'm going to try the Monte Carlo in my main tank but I also have a small tank with no CO2 (but has more light) so would be interested in answer to this question too. Anyone?
Yes. Without CO2 MonteCarlo grows like a snail, but it stays short, and grows smaller leaves.
foregsample my 8 L nano tank:
15100608913_022d9980b8_c.jpg

LunchTime by andras.czesznak, on Flickr

So MC will grow ok in a tank that is around the 18-20c temp? I just flooded a dry start and dont really have room for a heater either inline or in the tank, unless i go for something very small.

Back