• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid in regulator?

ralfred

Hi all

Is this normal? Liquid has appeared in the high pressure side of my new regulator. I don’t think this could be tank water as the regulator features a check valve. So maybe it’s CO2?

34C4AAB0-5BF9-40A4-B7DA-E13953A1D6A9.jpeg

Strange, not normal.

You could try drying it out by putting in airing cupboard (if you have one) for a day or two, or in oven on "warm plate" setting for a couple of hours.

Or dunk in sealed container of silica gel (or dry warm rice) for a day or two.

Also might be worth dropping CO2art an email for advice as well.

2nd vote for "not normal", but it's unlikely to be caused by any moisture in the system. Take a look at how a pressure gauge works here:
https://blog.wika.com/knowhow/bourdon-tube-pressure-gauge-operating-principle/

Even if you had no check valves, you'd have to have a leak in the bourdon tube for any tank water to get out into the gauge. And, given that this is on the high pressure side, you'd *definitely* hear that!

More likely, the casing of the gauge has had a slight knock or a seal is slightly off, allowing normal humid air in - the casings don't really need to be pressure sealed. Not a big deal, but I don't know how moisture sensitive the workings of the gauge is - corrosion over time would be a concern.

So, unlikely for the regulator to have any damage, but you might want to replace the gauge at some convenient point.

Thanks both - I know that some gauges are liquid filled by design - particularly in the auto/machining world, though this one did look air filled before I filled it up.

It looks like the whole regulator itself is assembled through screwing the gauges in, so perhaps there’s a way of unscrewing it and drying it out/replacing seals.

I’ll put all of this to CO2art on Monday and let you know what they recommend - so people know what to do if they encounter similar problems in the future.

I’ll put all of this to CO2art on Monday and let you know what they recommend - so people know what to do if they encounter similar problems in the future.

What did the guys at CO2Art say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back