• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid Co2 Advice

What is purigen I don't know anything about it.
It does very similar things to activated carbon but in a different way, link below.
https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php

Thanks, think I will just use it for a month then.
You can replace it and keep it running if you want to try and keep the tank a little clearer of tannins or go down the Purigen route.

People will argue for both sides of the fence with Purigen vs Activated Carbon but I don't think either one is better than the other.
Personally I use Activated Carbon; why? I'm not sure I just find it easy!

It does very similar things to activated carbon but in a different way, link below.
https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php

You can replace it and keep it running if you want to try and keep the tank a little clearer of tannins or go down the Purigen route.

People will argue for both sides of the fence with Purigen vs Activated Carbon but I don't think either one is better than the other.
Personally I use Activated Carbon; why? I'm not sure I just find it easy!

Sounds like good stuff purigen might give it a go after the carbon is dead :)

+1 for purigen. keeps the water crystal clear and a good value long term as you can recharge it regularly.

I think not many people on this forum use carbon in their filter. I've never used them, even after meds, and never had any problems. my >50% weekly WC as part of EI takes care of the water quality.

I just thought there might be a chance of overdosing if you don't know exactly how much is in the tank, I thought there would be some way of measuring this ?

Just use syringe. I dose 8ml of Easycarbo using a syringe for my 240l. This is on top of the injected CO2. Instructions say maximum twice the normal dose for heavily planted tanks so I could in theory go up to 10ml.

I have dosed Excel x5 (or more) before to wipe out algae, mainly BBA. This has been done by me, numerous times, on the first tank maintenance session after tank has been left in "holiday mode" for many weeks whilst away. In summer 2017 my tank was left for 6 weeks. Holiday mode is reduced lighting, CO2, ferts dosing and fish feeding.

Excess dosing did a wonderful job of removing virtually all traces of BBA and algae, that had accumulated due to lack of maintenance, whilst I was away.

Fish don't seem to care, no change in behaviour, still scoff all food given and relish scoffing all the now dead BBA algae on plants & fixtures. Just make sure that all your plants are not liquid carbon sensitive.

I have dosed Excel x5 (or more) before to wipe out algae, mainly BBA. This has been done by me, numerous times, on the first tank maintenance session after tank has been left in "holiday mode" for many weeks whilst away. In summer 2017 my tank was left for 6 weeks. Holiday mode is reduced lighting, CO2, ferts dosing and fish feeding.

Excess dosing did a wonderful job of removing virtually all traces of BBA and algae, that had accumulated due to lack of maintenance, whilst I was away.

Fish don't seem to care, no change in behaviour, still scoff all food given and relish scoffing all the now dead BBA algae on plants & fixtures. Just make sure that all your plants are not liquid carbon sensitive.

I sometimes do a massive overdose like you during a water change to get rid of persistent BBA. Take out 50% of the water. Switch off filter. Put in overdose of Excel and leave to stand for an hour. Fill with fresh water. Switch on filter. This way the overdose becomes even more concentrated for a short time. Kills the BBA and fish are fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys appreciated :)

I sometimes do a massive overdose like you during a water change to get rid of persistent BBA. Take out 50% of the water. Switch off filter. Put in overdose of Excel and leave to stand for an hour. Fill with fresh water. Switch on filter. This way the overdose becomes even more concentrated for a short time. Kills the BBA and fish are fine.

Nice tip! Might try that myself, still recovering from an algae outbreak and starting to see signs of it re-appearing. Hoping co2 injection etc will help long term (might get some Amano shrimp as well)

Back