• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lily pipes wrong diameter

Fred13

Hello and happy new year,

They have gave me a beautiful set of lily pipes as a gift but unfortunately it proved to have wrong diameter for my filter hoses.

My filter has 12/16mm diameter hoses and the lily pipes are suitable for 16/22.

I am thinking of instead of giving them back or spending on new ones to increase the diameter size by using a hose adaptor.

I know that decreasing the hose diameter reduces the flow but in my case I should do the opposite and increase it.

No prior experience to that kind of hosing. Would it be fine ?

Thank you,
Fred

I know that decreasing the hose diameter reduces the flow but in my case I should do the opposite and increase it.

No prior experience to that kind of hosing. Would it be fine ?
It will be fine. Just get a 12mm to 16mm pipe fitting/adapter and a 16/22mm aquarium hose.
1641305429925.png

Increasing the diameter of a tube reduces the flow velocity (the "speed" of the water coming out of the tube), but the volume flow (the amount of water coming out of the tube) will remain the same. As an example, if you pump 1000 l/h at a constant rate into a 12mm diameter tube, you would get a flow velocity of ~2.5 m/s. If you use a 16mm tube instead, the flow velocity would be 1.4 m/s. But you would end up with 1000 litres of water after 1 hour coming out of the tube in both cases. The bottom-line is that the total amount of water circulating between the tank and the filter is the same regardless of the tube diameters.

Note: the above is an ideal scenario; in reality, the walls of the tube, fittings, tube bends, etc. add drag, turbulence and other inefficiencies that negatively affect flow velocity and volume flow.

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
It seems that I can stick with those lily pipes and avoid spending more on new.

As far as I understand, the maximum water "reach" will decrease. So if the filter had the power to push the water 100 cm it will now push it 70 or something like this.

Back