• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lillypipe design and functionality

I think I've seen people use those ball ones for a bit more surface agitation. If I was to bet, I'd say the normal one would give better flow. More diffuser-y. Ball one looks badly designed

I'd go for the second one. Height can be adjusted for more surface agitation and it won't kill the flow like the first one.

I also ordered that same ball pipe and using it for over a week now. (via ebay HKAquarium thats the Hinterfeld ebay shop) I kinda like that ball pipe, before a used just a jetstream pipe. (like the in the second link but without that cup on it) At first i wasnt sure about it but after a few days i saw the advantage, not that the straight jetstream did a bad job.

The ball pipe will force the jet stream against the glass in the ball. The water there for will be lifted to the surface and starts to swirl. Depending on the power of your outflow it can create a little or a bigger eddy on the surface. This sucks down what ever is building up on there, it keeps it cleaner.

The jetstream wont push the water up, it pushes the water straight forward till it hits the side of your tank or an other obstacle before it changes direction. :)

I have a small tank, im not sure if the ball is that good in a bigger one.. Have to try that, but i cant..

The ball pipe will force the jet stream against the glass in the ball.

and kill your flow in the process! same as pointing your outlet straight at the wall of your tank. Also, the normal lily would work a lot better than just a pipe/hose on its own, so you can't really compare it to your old one

I have no experience with the straight lilypipe, i guess it makes a wider straight jet stream. Ofcourse i can't compare that pipe jetstream i had before with that lilypipe. Anyway i like the ball pipe in my tank. Can't say it kills the stream. The water comes out in the same amount as before and keeps pushing it out, it just goes an other route, it doesn't stop in the ball. I'm kinda satisfied with it, got a good flow see all plants sway and it skims the surface. So for my little tank it does a pretty good job.. I can see that it might not be the best choise for a bigger thank or maybe just another scape in the same size tank as i have. I guess i just made a lucky guess with buying that thing. :)

i've actually been looking at the same ball pipe for my 30cm cube puffer tank. the eheim is turned down currently so i actually want the reduced flow a touch by directing it more upwards.

Here is a link from an other topic here at ukaps about lilypipes. With some functional discriptions about the design. :)
http://www.calaqualabs.com/Fluxus.html

If you search youtube you'll also find some vids about their functionality.. Thats how i found out about the ball shape and the eddy..

Back