• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for Sprouts?

Have any of you tried using Aquarium light units for growing sprouts like Broccoli, Radish and Cress etc?

haven;t tried it, but itll work. just horribly expensive for how powerful they are. considering you can get grow lights really cheap nowadays, just get one of em I think.

To start them off? Brassicas are pretty hardy so I'd just do them outside. They also get big so I think you'd struggle to get an effective plant inside with hobby growing conditions. I shouldn't imagine cress would have an issue with aquarium lights as you only want to grow it to it's seed leaves anyway so a big leggy not an issue.

I’ve repurposed some aquarium leds to germinate stawberry plants, works great.

To start them off? Brassicas are pretty hardy so I'd just do them outside. They also get big so I think you'd struggle to get an effective plant inside with hobby growing conditions. I shouldn't imagine cress would have an issue with aquarium lights as you only want to grow it to it's seed leaves anyway so a big leggy not an issue.
You misunderstand, they are all eaten at the sprouting stage. Grown indoors so no problem with pests etc

A sunny windowsill should work if you are only wanting the sprouting stage. Aquarium lights might speed things up or stop them getting leggy but as you are eating them at an early stage I'm not sure it matters as much.

We had a customer once that used to buy ro and was religious about cleaning out his drums and making sure the tds was 0. I found out later that he used to grow cannabis in old fish tanks using normal fish lights, so they are capable of growing plants but perhaps not as efficient as other lighting solutions.

@Geoffrey Rea grew some veg in empty tank

1648413939239.jpeg

1648413970201.jpeg

It was the first lockdown of the pandemic so the tank got used as a propagator whilst shops were shut. If you have spare aquarium lighting you’ll find they grow terrestrial plants through the sprouting stage just fine.

Equally, cheap SuperFish tanks (usual going free on FB marketplace) with lids and the E27 screw bulb fittings built in work well:

1648415414406.jpeg

You can then get corn row directional bulbs to put in them:

1648414609904.jpeg

LED grow bulb options a plenty these days too. With a lid on a tank the temp and moisture is easy to control as well @Aqua sobriquet .

Back