• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting ban

lurcher

What is the situation re fluorescent lighting being fazed out. Can we still use them to light our tanks if we have a stock or if we can still get them please, and is it worth buying spare tubes for future use?

I don't think fluorescent bulbs are being banned, they're just being phased out as of Sept this year. Probably an industry led decision, there isn't demand for them any longer. If you can find them on the high street or online you can buy them and still use them. Just don't really know why anyone would want to though. For our purposes at least, there are far more energy efficient LED alternatives with far greater controllability and range of intensity and colour rendition.

I have always used ho t5tubes,I am 83and don’t understand technology too well.I bought 2led lights supposedly rated at 25watts and 28watts,my tank is very old and deep, and the ones I bought did not penetrate to substrate very well for my plants.I can’t afford the expensive leds hence my t5s.can any ad vise me of the led wattage I require for my tank please,it is planted 240litres and is 39” long x 16” wide x26”high.any advise greatly appreciated,thank you.

I have always used ho t5tubes,I am 83and don’t understand technology too well.I bought 2led lights supposedly rated at 25watts and 28watts,my tank is very old and deep, and the ones I bought did not penetrate to substrate very well for my plants.
In that case buying fluorescent tubes whilst you still can, might be a good idea. TBH I don't really have much of a clue about LEDs either ;)

can any ad vise me of the led wattage I require for my tank please,it is planted 240litres and is 39” long x 16” wide x26”high.any advise greatly appreciated,thank you.
Maybe @oreo57 would be able to help.

I have always used ho t5tubes,I am 83and don’t understand technology too well.I bought 2led lights supposedly rated at 25watts and 28watts,my tank is very old and deep, and the ones I bought did not penetrate to substrate very well for my plants.I can’t afford the expensive leds hence my t5s.can any ad vise me of the led wattage I require for my tank please,it is planted 240litres and is 39” long x 16” wide x26”high.any advise greatly appreciated,thank you.
4 36" 39 watt t5ho tubes IF you can find fixtures and bulbs. 2watts/gallon in old school. Can get away with 2 tubes. Those 2tubes are about equiv. to the 2 leds you have.
Finding 36" is more of the issue than cost.
Approx 60gal tank.
This is relatively inexpensive. Maybe 2x the cost of 2 tubes and about as equivalent.
Good thing is you can just add one or both of your other LEDs.
Amazon product ASIN B08MTTY1QM
Briefly searching Amazon UK.
Amazon product ASIN B00BPVZSLY

Last edited:
I had got to use the Arcadia Plant Pro plant light 39w . When trying to purchase a couple more tubes ,was disappointed to find they were discontinued by Arcadia and the alternative their tropical light retrofit LED, T5 l found was a let down toward the rendition of the Plant Pro. We have to get used to the demise of and welcome the new lighting LED I suppose. As mentioned Nicrew have affordable range with light setting controls and reasonably priced, hearing good things about Super fish range too

If you wanted to get LEDs for a deep tank, the aquarium LED spots and bars with lenses (which you need for penetration) will be expensive. On a budget, you will have to DIY a fixture to which you can add lenses but Im guessing this option is one you wouldnt prefer.
So in order to get some budget friendly LED lights with good penetrations, your best option would be LED floodlights. A ratio of 2:1 Cool Daylight 6500K : Warm white 3000K would be ideal for plants and viewing.
The poor colour rendition of white LEDs back in the day led me to add some R,G and B LEDs and mixed whites to my DIY fixture effectively making mine a WRGB light before it was cool lol.

I went though this whole flourescent light phasing out circus in my country several years ago. Suddenly one day around 8 years ago I found out that T5 FIXTURES werent available anymore. Just LED battons were the only option. I could and still can get T5 and T8 replacement tubes and atleast earlier T8 fittings were still available for some reason. I still need to visit several shops to check for stock of T5 tubes that are Natural White 4300k as that is my favourite colour for home lighting. 6500k is too harsh and 3000k is too dull and too yellow. When I renovated my house, I designed the bathroom with 3 lights - a spot for the shower, a main ceilight light and a T5 overhanging the mirror cabinet to light up the face and the reflected light brightened the room considerably. This just isnt possible with LED tubes because they are directional so not much reflected light and they are very harsh on the eyes as well. Luckily I have some spare FL drivers to repair my existing fittings.

Im also raging about the new trend of LED headlights in commuter class cars. People always point out how good the LEDs are on Mercs and Audis but those on regular Joe cars are complete garbage in terms of useful illumination, especially when its raining and are blindingly harsh to other drivers. The latest trend is deleting fog lamps on newer models, which as a last resort could be fitted with HID projectors with 4300k bulbs that worked in all seasons but unfortunately will cease to exist soon.

Apologies for the long kind of off topic rant but I actually did some light fixture fixing stuff today so the topic was on my mind coincidentally

Fluorescent tubes are a bit harder to get at the moment. I use four of them in my shed. The old tubes were about £4 each. LED replacements are nearly £25 in the DIY stores.
From my experience of other types of LED’s for use in the home, they don’t last anywhere near as long as fluorescents. I’ve stocked up on a few while I can still get them.

Fluorescent tubes are a bit harder to get at the moment. I use four of them in my shed. The old tubes were about £4 each. LED replacements are nearly £25 in the DIY stores.
From my experience of other types of LED’s for use in the home, they don’t last anywhere near as long as fluorescents. I’ve stocked up on a few while I can still get them.
Agree with you 100% the new LED stuff - regular price and premium ones - last nowhere close to what is advertised but just past the advertised warranty period is. Im guessing its mostly due to the heat but I have fluorescents that are older than all my LED fittings and they see regular usage and several on/off cycles.

One of the places I used to work had an 8ft fluorescent tube that lasted over 15 years. It was used 8 hours a day five days a week. I’ve tried several makes of 1521 Lumen LED’s for our lounge and none of them have lasted for more than six months so I’ve bought a small stock of fluorescents for less than half the price per lamp.

At the moment I have on a 1metre aquarium a 39w iaquatics Tropical tube with a very cheap 39w daylight from one one the lighting companies (which l ordered several at around £3 each)and very happy with the rendition of the two together

At the moment I have on a 1metre aquarium a 39w iaquatics Tropical tube with a very cheap 39w daylight from one one the lighting companies (which l ordered several at around £3 each)and very happy with the rendition of the two together
I wonder what Iquatics are planning once they run out of fluorescent tubes?

@Andy Taylor They don't seem to have gone LED at all. I assume they have a lot of marine customers who prefer Fluorescents. It doesn't look like any retrofit LEDs are in the plans either but interestingly they will have to eventually

Back