• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light Screens/Backgrounds - any cheaper options?

jasonjleach

Hi All, perhaps like many of us I'm thinking about getting a light screen for my 900 aquascaper. The ADA is basically too expensive. Does anyone know of any OEM or cheaper suppliers? Thanks in advance.
Jason

These have gone up in price..like everything, not sure if they are cheaper than ADA though?

Last edited:
A much cheaper option is to make one yourself. I bought a long self adhesive dimmable LED strip and stuck it down on a length of 2x1 ply cut a little short of the width of my tank base (to get decent illumination I ran the LED strip back and forth 4 times). The ply is attached to the base via a self adhesive velcro strip. You can choose from a variety of white LED tones or colour options. Put some black out vinyl against the rear substrate to avoid algae problems from the light. Of course it also illuminates the wall behind but this is small beer given this is all a fraction of the cost of a ready made panel. This is what it looks like.

P1210704_fromthis.jpg

I'm using this... but i checked their facebook page, not updated since Dec 2022. pls message them to check....

A lot cheaper than the Flux! ;)

90x45cm light screen $179.9 to buy.
Cost to ship to UK $321.6.
Additional tax and import duty to pay as well.

May as well buy a Flux Chroma as suggested by @GHNelson, or one from Aquarium Gardens £299.00.

Or £399.00 for a RGBW model.

Very nice @Malarky! Do you have a picture of the backside?
Here you go. I forgot that I glued a slightly wider piece of plywood to the 1x2 to provide room for the LEDs. It was a little heavy for the velcro so I have a small sander pad adjusting it to the right angle sandwiched against the rear wall. I am sure there are neater and tidier ways of achieving this probably with lighter materials.

20230818_162153b.jpg

Toolstation do something rather <similar>, but I think I got mine off Amazon.
For the polychromatic ARGB stuff: to get completely perfect diffraction you can shine ARGB light strips up the edge of some acrylic sheeting, this can be either sandblasted or film coated in order to refract the light. Very similar to the method above, this is what they do to create acrylic light boxes, custom PC components, and display signs. There are plenty of companies that make them in the UK, and I should expect the price rather competitive.
For the hardcore visuals: I have been told that an old widescreen TV will let you watch footie at the same time as you do the maintenance.

Chihiros has one for like 100$
Unfortunately the 90x45 from chihiros is £275

In honesty I think you’re best off paying for one that’s already manufactured if you want something proper.

A few years back I basically copied this below and made my own that worked really well against a frosted backing. Just ensure to leave a couple inches of bare glass so the suction cups can stick as they won’t take to vinyl.

Hello,

You can also use Alibaba to get one costume made. I used this manufacture: Alibaba link. 45$ for a costum 83x36cm light screen with app to change colours.

Shipping is expensive tho.

How did you find the quality? I've just contacted them after seeing your link since the price of light screen's over here is ridiculous. After shipping it only comes to around £300 for 3 light screens which seems very fair when two of them are 90cm length. Just want to hear feedback from someone who has actually used them before I pull the trigger.

How did you find the quality? I've just contacted them after seeing your link since the price of light screen's over here is ridiculous. After shipping it only comes to around £300 for 3 light screens which seems very fair when two of them are 90cm length. Just want to hear feedback from someone who has actually used them before I pull the trigger.

Guess I'll find out as I've ordered three....hopefully they're decent :I

Guess I'll find out as I've ordered three....hopefully they're decent :I
Sorry, im not on here often! The qulity isnt the best compared to the more expensive versions, but I really enjoy the lightscreens and that you can change color on them. The timer sometimes go out of sync after some time, so you have to reset it by openining the app and opening the timer setting. Still thinks it's good for the price.

Can upload some pictures or video of it tomorrow if you want?

Sorry, im not on here often! The qulity isnt the best compared to the more expensive versions, but I really enjoy the lightscreens and that you can change color on them. The timer sometimes go out of sync after some time, so you have to reset it by openining the app and opening the timer setting. Still thinks it's good for the price.

Can upload some pictures or video of it tomorrow if you want?
Appreciate the feedback, that would be great if you could.

Back