• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lets review an AI designed dutch tank.

milesjames

So I work with AI in a variety of different ways in my working life and wanted to put it to the test.

I feed the AI basic rules and then the Barr report tips and tricks overview as a starting point then gave it tank dimensions.
120ltr 90cm L x 45cm D x 60cm H.

I then worked with the AI to support it make design decisions that were considerate of the style without giving personal preferences. This is what it suggested:-

1. Foreground:
    • Begin with a dense carpet of Staurogyne repens in the front left corner, covering the first 10 cm.
    • Introduce Eleocharis parvula (Dwarf Hairgrass) behind the Staurogyne repens, extending from 10 cm to 20 cm.
  2. Midground:
    • Plant Cryptocoryne (Earth Brown) starting from 20 cm to 30 cm, providing a different color and texture.
    • Leave a small gap before the next group.
  3. Background:
    • Plant Rotala macrandra Green from 40 cm to 60 cm, creating a tall background plant on the left side.
    • Place Hygrophila salicofolia slightly to the right and behind the Rotala, covering the range from 60 cm to 80 cm.
  4. Focal Points:
    • Integrate a few stems of Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens) sporadically within the background, ensuring they stand out and serve as focal points.
  5. Curtain Plant:
    • Add a few strands of Vallisneria spiralis (Italian Val) on the far left side, starting from the front and extending towards the back, creating a curtain-like effect.
Ensure to leave some open space between plant groups to maintain a clear distinction and allow each group to stand out. Adjust the placement as needed based on the specific growth habits of the plants and the visual balance of the aquascape.

So my thought was as a group lets review its work given the amount of experience here, I'm sure we could give it a good review. Once we have, I will give the feedback to the system and lets see if it can improve to a point that the scape feels accurate. Then I will be able to develop a basic AI command prompt for the newer scapers here to use it for their own scapes in the future.

Interesting on the foreground.

I would not have chosen to put dwarf hairgrass behind staurogyne, not least because the hairgrass is finer and would (to me) look better in front, but even height wise, staurogyne can get taller i think than hairgrass...

Maybe we will discover this is where the human element cannot be replicated, or that i am a sub-par aquascaper :lol:

My thought so far is the Ai had the correct idea but left too much space in the scape. When working out how it intends plants to be arranged, there are huge gaps left. Also although it gathered the premise, it didn't add a street to the open space and the ludwigia doesn't have an obvious location to hit the golden ratio focal points without lower stems being seen. I've added a picture (poor drawing sorry) of what I think it is asking. Any further thoughts guys? The more feedback we give it the better. I will post updates on its progress after each 10 pieces of feedback
AI scape.jpg

I feed the AI basic rules and then the Barr report tips and tricks overview as a starting point then gave it tank dimensions.
120ltr 90cm L x 45cm D x 60cm H.

The AI needs to re-visit maths school. I make your dimensions give a volume of 243 litres before accounting for glass thickness, around 234 litres with 10mm glass. :)...if I'm wrong then maybe I need to re-sit maths!

Last edited:
The AI needs to re-visit maths school. I make your dimensions give a volume of 243 litres before accounting for glass thickness, around 234 litres with 10mm glass. :)...if I'm wrong then maybe I need to re-sit maths!
Hehe that might be my bad maths/typing 220ltrs is what I was going for but still wrong 😅. Will adjust on the next prompt.

Back