• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leopard Cory Looking Pale?

I would be a bit concerned yes, not just because of the color but his barbels appear to be quite short / missing. Do you know if it was like this when you purchased it?
His friend to the left also looks to be feeling a bit under the weather, its not a good sign when the fins are clamped slightly like that, the left ones barbels also look a bit short.

Its possible to cure fish of some problems without medications, like mild bacterial issues which could be the case here (ill leave the specifics to one of our fish experts).
Large water changes with treated water can in some cases fully treat milder issues, the clean water allows the fish the support to heal itself. Make sure the substrate stays clean, but of course do not strip the tank of beneficial microbes, just keep things airy and free of debris/poop.

Oh dear. I'll see if I can get some better pictures.

I have ordered a proper water testing kit as every time I've used the dip sticks things look fine.

Tomorrow I am going to do a huge water change as I actually have to move the fish tank, so will be taking the fish out of the tank.

I've just had a look and indeed his barbels do look short, I don't ever recall noticing if they were always like this 🙁

I've just cleaned the sand as I'd just fed them hence the waste.

Should I buy something to treat it? Melafix?

I have ordered a proper water testing kit as every time I've used the dip sticks things look fine.
The sticks are not known for being very reliable. Even the liquid tests can sometimes show no issues even though there is an issue visible on a fish. We cant test for everything unfortunately, and our hobby grade liquid tests rarely give us a full picture. If the tests arrive and give an all clear, I would still continue the water changes. The fish and plants tell the truth.

Tomorrow I am going to do a huge water change as I actually have to move the fish tank, so will be taking the fish out of the tank.
Be careful not to disturb the biological culture of the tank when you move it, right now with it being such an immature tank you need all the beneficial microbes you have. So make sure things like the sand and filter etc dont get disturbed to a great degree. Dont leave them standing around dry or in stagnant water, dont do too much cleaning. (Light removal of waste from substrate is good, "cleaning" the way we humans see "clean" is bad for the beneficial microbes). I would especially allow your filter to be a bit "dirty" looking for a while, as long as the flow through is good.
Should I buy something to treat it? Melafix?
In my opinion no. For now I would just perform large water changes, once a day even unless someone else chimes in. Keep feeding to a minimal level, per day the fish need only food approximately the size of their eyeball. For emergencies this can be reduced even further. It takes a lot to kill a fish from starvation, but a lot of fish die from the effects of too much food.
Make sure you have enough plants, if possible buy more quick growing plants like floaters (ideally) and/or stemplants. Cheap and fast growing, you can always remove or reduce the amount once the crisis has passed. They will support your water quality in a way medication never can.
Hold off on medication for now, unless someone like @Conort2 says otherwise.
Medication stresses the fish and in some cases might actually make things slightly worse if we are not entirely sure what we are trying to treat.

Clean water (free of chlorine), minimal food, lots of plants and good flow(oxygenation), an airstone is great if you have one.
Wish your corys a speedy recovery 🤞

I'm with @Hufsa on this, there appears to be some barbell erosion. This is rather unusual in a fine sand substrate like you have - corys tend to prefer this kind of substrate, and it's less prone to causing barbell injuries.
This is a good idea. Although test kits in general aren't looked of fondly on ukaps, I think that ammonia and nitrite test kits are invaluable. In the mean time, it would be wise to start performing daily large water changes - although this is inconvenient, it helps keeps the water column bacteria levels low and allows the fish's immune system to catch up, as well as removes any ammonia/nitrite and dissolved organics.

I'd also pay special attention during feeding times; ensure that all the corys are eating and getting a good amount of food.

Thank you.

I have two air stones. I transferred the media from my old filter into this new one when I set the tank up.

I have mesh bags with all the substrate from the old tank beneath the sand.

I feed them two sinking pellets twice a day (as in two pellets for all four fish).

Thank you so much!

With the extent of barbel erosion and how recently these fish were purchased, I suspect they already had some damage when they were purchased. I dont think all of this happened in this tank, but of course I could be wrong. Its not uncommon to be sold fish like this, I frequently see slight fin erosion as well, which you will only pick up on if you already know what to look for.
Usually this goes unnoticed by all parties involved, because the fish gradually make a recovery once they are placed in a stable home.
The key for @pollyandpear will be to support the healing of the fish so they can get back on their feet and grow out the barbels, plus fight off any bacterial issue that might be affecting their overall wellness.
If it doesnt regain color within maybe half a week of daily water changes, I would start to consider medications. Especially if more of them start clamping their fins slightly. Do not get the first and best medication available. Highly effective antibacterial medications will usually damage or downright wipe out the beneficial bacteria of a tank (antibacterials do not discriminate), and such treatments might be best to do in a separate hospital tank. Less effective but milder antibacterial medications can be used in-tank, but are of course less potent. The wrong medication will have no effect and just stress the fish further.

@hypnogogia

No.

What i’m saying is i’m having cherry shrimps (red exactly) and they are have different colours from red to transparent and blue as well. Even one of them is red/transparent with yellow spot on it. So please don’t tell me one a bit more different cory is making any difference. Not every life being on this planet is different. Hasn’t it ?

Don’t be so over worried people please!

Last edited by a moderator:
What i’m saying is i’m having cherry shrimps (red exactly) and they are have different colours from red to transparent and blue as well. Even one of them is red/transparent with yellow spot on it. So please don’t tell me one a bit more different cory is making any difference. Not every life being on this planet is different. Hasn’t it ?

Don’t be so over worried people please!
I think with more experience you will be able to more easily pick up on the subtle signs fish give when they are not in good health. Fish are prey animals and will do their best to try to appear as healthy as possible, this is so they are not singled out and targeted by predators. I understand where you are coming from about cherry shrimp coloration, but its not really a good comparison in this case. For example, the one with a yellow spot (if its on the back) is showing unfertilized eggs. This is also something one learns with experience.

Starting treatment (whether that includes medication or not) early before things progress to really obvious issues gives much better odds for the fish.
Being completely close minded just means the fish will turn up dead one day and one would be none the wiser. "Oh, dead fish. How random." Sometimes the issue is big enough that several fish are suddenly dying. Usually this prompts a desperate post about the dead and dying fish on some forum or other. Polly's fish are lucky that their owner is observant and asked for advice early on.

Being less dismissive and more open to learning from people who have more experience is a great way to gain experience for oneself, especially if it means one can skip experiencing all problems first hand.
I learn a lot all the time from people on UKAPS who have more experience than me, even if I have been in the hobby for around 15 years already.

I think with more experience you will be able to more easily pick up on the subtle signs fish give when they are not in good health. Fish are prey animals and will do their best to try to appear as healthy as possible, this is so they are not singled out and targeted by predators. I understand where you are coming from about cherry shrimp coloration, but its not really a good comparison in this case. For example, the one with a yellow spot (if its on the back) is showing unfertilized eggs. This is also something one learns with experience.

Starting treatment (whether that includes medication or not) early before things progress to really obvious issues gives much better odds for the fish.
Being completely close minded just means the fish will turn up dead one day and one would be none the wiser. "Oh, dead fish. How random." Sometimes the issue is big enough that several fish are suddenly dying. Usually this prompts a desperate post about the dead and dying fish on some forum or other. Polly's fish are lucky that their owner is observant and asked for advice early on.

Being less dismissive and more open to learning from people who have more experience is a great way to gain experience for oneself, especially if it means one can skip experiencing all problems first hand.
I learn a lot all the time from people on UKAPS who have more experience than me, even if I have been in the hobby for around 15 years already.
Sorry pal.

I don’t think my fish are become dead at all.

They are doing perfectly fine.

I know they just a guppies but according to my observations they are doing perfectly well.

But thanks for Your advice and i’m totally fine to learn from my own mistakes.

Cheers,

Piotr.

You're not seriously comparing catfish to shrimp are you? By that logic, if I suddenly turn ghostly white, it's no cause for concern right? The corys in this picture have pretty clear barbell erosion, so that in combination with a pale colouration definitely gives reason for alarm. The advice given in this thread so far is mostly to just do more water changes, which would only ever be beneficial in the suspicion of illness.

Illnesses can progress very quickly, and they often reach a point of no return, acting early is the best countermeasure.

Even though a lot of people link barbel erosion to substrate choice I think it is more linked to water quality issues and can occur regardless of whether the fish are on gravel or not. This isn’t to say I’d recommend keeping corydoras on gravel, they should always be kept on sand so they can exhibit normal behaviour.

I would up your water change schedule at the moment to whatever the most is you can do without it being an issue. Ideally 50percent daily whilst the fish are in the current condition they’re in. As mentioned by @Hufsa the fish at the front left doesn’t look great too, in fact I think it appears to be in worse condition than the pale fish.

How long has this new set up been running? Even though you’re using a filter which was already running this isn’t the only place you’ll find beneficial micro organisms so it may be a case that your tank is currently ‘cycling’ again.

Cheers

Back