• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED/Tubes? 120cm (47") x 76cm (30") Advice

RobS

Hi All,

I've not long ago got a new Aqua One 4ft tank and wanted to start a planted aquarium again. My old tank was a Juwel Vision 260 that came out alright. Only big concern with this new tank is the depth.

I just wanted some advice on the lighting and if it's worth it going on to LED route and secondly.

Tubes: Was little at possible tubes, such as iQuatics 4 x T5 setup.
LED: I've looked at such things as the Twinstar, Chihiros A-Series Pro

Example are uploaded, I've removed the top of the wood and would like to either hang or place on the top of the tank, like the LED styles.

The tank will be injected by co2 system
Will be running with either Tropica Aquarium Soil or ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia

Many Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 118
Only big concern with this new tank is the depth.
It's a valid concern in terms of budget - if you search online, you can find examples of tall planted tanks
Most recently, the new tank put in at Kosta Outlet

Kosta Boda project managed by Aquascapers of Sweden and powered by Aquaflora, JBL and Kosta Boda
FIlipe Oliveira has posted details on his FB page, also videos on his YouTube page

You've not mentioned what sort of plants you hope to grow - substrate PAR will be an issue if you're hoping for carpet plants - unless you've the budget to invest in high intensity LEDs (think cluster matrix technology with great internal lens eg, Kessil, Hydra HD, Giesemann & such)

You might consider a moss carpet - attached to rocks is best for ease of maintenance

In such a tall tank, taller grasses such as
E parvula
H tenellum
Sagittaria subulata
Helanthium ‘Quadricostatus'
Or "shorter" Green Cryptocoryne species etc would be rather interesting

Use larger pieces of wood for height rather than stone re weight considerations & possibility of tumble effect :eek:

Thanks for the info alto.

Not 100% decided on the plants as of yet. As looking for little bit of advice on the lighting to know what I can achieve on reasonable budget.

My idea was some big rocks staggered throughout the middle towards the right with some different the heights. Have some sand towards the right side. From left to right heavily soiled with large wooden feature throughout.

Was planning to moss up the wood and some on the stones. I was thinking of generally easy plants to start off with. But wanted some type of carpet.

I do like the style of dwarf grass or something like Glossostigma Elatinoides. (Glosso).

Budget wise I'm not really set. Have in the mind set that it's something that can always be used etc so not to worried about putting some money on it. Would say possible 300 ball park ££

Glossostigma Elatinoides. (Glosso).
my experience suggests this will tend to dominant vertical growth rather than dense lateral (carpet) growth unless light is sufficient

What are the tank dimensions L x W x H?

Depending on your planting goals, you might consider a single Twinstar S 90cm or 2 x Twinstar S 60cm (could begin with one & then add a 2nd later) BUT either option would need to be suspended (or if you're up for some DIY, you could sort out an alternate - note Twinstar fits certain rimless tank diameters so discuss tank details with shop)

Given experiences posted (ukaps) I doubt Chihiros would provide the same light intensity (near substrate), though they have some 120cm options (I believe still available)

For longevity, I'd suggest Tropica Soil - re very little breakdown over time
ADA Amazonia - initial ammonia release (daily water changes until this begins to diminish, rather than a set time frame - plant growth & Soil manufacture run will impact this), definitely more breakdown of individual "spheres" over time

Both are good options

For deeper substrate areas, use some other material such as ADA Power Sand :)lol: as it's the least sand like substrate) (or similar size/shape/flow characteristics) to create the height, then top with 6-10 cm Soil depth

Back