• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Light Recommendations?

Dougie

hi,

i'm looking to upgrade my lighting in my fluval rio 125, tank width is 31.5in. I'm moving house soon and when i move the tank im going to take the top and bottom plastics off so i have a bare tank and can add led light.

Just looking for you to recommend a decent led fixture at around the £100 mark that'll fit on this tank?

I look and always get confused about whether the description of items includes width of the fixture or just the light?

Anyway, it would be great if you guys could through some ideas my way, I'm just looking around this pricemark because in a year i'll be upgrading to a 4foot and a new fixture.

Thanks

Is it a fluval Roma or a Juwel Rio?

You can get Arcadia Plant Pro tubes which are not LEDs but will do the job just as well...

sorry its the fluval roma. always get mixed up with the two.

I'm going to take the plastics from the top and bottom off so it is a bare tank so i'm looking into a light unit that will sit on the tank, for example the two legs on each side.[DOUBLEPOST=1402648160][/DOUBLEPOST]what about this?

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fis...a-stretch-freshwater-led-lighting-561962.html

anybody any experience with these? light mixture for freshwater in the description looks good.

Last edited:
Ah I see. Yes those are good, quite a lot of people use them I believe.

Yeah they seem decent from reviews, to be honest though, anything would be an upgrade to my T8's i currently have! haha

I'm going to take the plastics from the top and bottom off so it is a bare tank so i'm looking into a light unit that will sit on the tank, for example the two legs on each side

This plastic may offer the tank some load baring capacity, has anyone else with the same tank done it?

Also, you may find this useful.

sorry its the fluval roma. always get mixed up with the two.

I'm going to take the plastics from the top and bottom off so it is a bare tank so i'm looking into a light unit that will sit on the tank, for example the two legs on each side.[DOUBLEPOST=1402648160][/DOUBLEPOST]what about this?

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fis...a-stretch-freshwater-led-lighting-561962.html

anybody any experience with these? light mixture for freshwater in the description looks good.
Yup, it's a good little unit. I've done a dual timer installation how to for it in the diy section.

im going to take the top and bottom plastics off so i have a bare tank and can add led light.

I believe the top plastics are also the bracing for the tank.

I would be extremely careful taking them off and filling the tank afterwards, (do it out side)

It might be a good idea to add a glass brace in the middle of the tank before you use it.

I've read a few posts about the structural integrity and apparently all fluval tanks are tested before hood and bottoms are put on the tank therefore safe to take off, think it was a thread on UKAPS actually.

Someone apparently phoned fluval and told them this (whether I believe this I'm not so sure) bit have seen loads of people saying they have although most recommend keeping it to a 125 and below.

How would I go about adding a glass brace in the middle?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My fluval Roma 240 used to bow, the plastic brace along the top had almost cracked when I got rid of it... Thing used to give me nightmares.

Back