• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

L shaped tank with diagonal front panel

Never saw this post, but my 400 gallon is 200 cm wide and the left side is 80 cm and the right side is 120 cm deep, so the front pane is diagonal, just not 45 degrees, but 20 or so.

Till now i only seen real examples from rather large tanks... Quite a difference in glass thickness, makes diagonal seems a lot stronger.. I'm curious how that will work in less thick glass on the long run. Just for safety i might just need to go for minimum of 8mm glass. With the optiwhite option this might be the best choice. :)

Or you could have a steel "brace" bend in the correct angle and glue that to the outside ( hoekijzer)

I'm not realy into top braces with an open top tank.. :) That would to much of a distraction..

I would assume you can do it by filling the gap with silicone as you would a normal tank. All three of those panes would be pushing out from the water pressure so it should force a tighter seal if anything. 20cm tall, I wouldn't put to much thought into it :)

Me too.. :nailbiting::woot:.. It's already spooking through my mind a year longer than i posted this thread 2 years ago. And because i never seen it before i thought i might not be a good idea to kit panels together diagonaly like that without bracing.

SO happy i found an example that proofs my fears wrong.. Back to the drawing board.. :bookworm::hungry:

Plywood and epoxy is a good option, but the frame around the front panel will consume 7-10cm of hight leaving little front glass....I have done a 21cm high plywood aquarium. I recommend using cleartech instead of aquarium silicone, it is Crystal clear and stays clear, very strong, aquarium safe, bonds well on all surfaces, and can even be used under water...

Plywood and epoxy is a good option, but the frame around the front panel will consume 7-10cm of hight leaving little front glass....I have done a 21cm high plywood aquarium. I recommend using cleartech instead of aquarium silicone, it is Crystal clear and stays clear, very strong, aquarium safe, bonds well on all surfaces, and can even be used under water...

You might like to see this.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/henry-goes-steampunk.50976/

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mission-bathtub-2017.49096/page-2#post-485021

Both are still up and running today.. :)

I do not know cleartech i assume iit's a polymer kit?.. That i know and used.. I rather do not use it as a permanent submersed sealing on glass, because it still absorbs water after curing and after long term polymer kit can laminate off the glass and start to leak. We have TEC7 as readily available Polymer, the producer also does admit and advice against using it permanent submersed on glass because of that. :) Still i see it it adviced and sold for that on Local Fish Shops as the new aqaurium sealant.

I rather stick to my gold old fashion silicone. Don't like suprises to much when it comes to that.. :thumbup:

Oh dear...it is a tec7 product. I did not have problems with it :) mind you I have not had it submersed for more than 3years

I did use it on several occasions and it is great stuff. I remeber after searching if it is suitable for aqaurium building. I came accross a topic with a pasted e-mail from TEC7 tech service answering the very same question. Ant the answer was they advice against using it permanently submersed for glass to glass connection. Because of it's water absorbing propperties (About 1%) over time it can laminate off the glass and leak. Glass obviously is to smooth and over time the water can creep in between kit and glass. Since it is a Belgium product, the thread was in Dutch language, so i guess no use to look it up again and paste it here.

So i kept going on with silicon kit not to take any chances..

It might take many years. maybe never, i donnu, only refering to what they said about their own product. :) Good luck..

Ramsaur 410 Silicone, is a German product.. It's a pretty clear silicone.. It als has a rather short skinning time, 6 minutes in average temps. SO need to work fast.. But it pays off.. :thumbup: Still not as clear as polymer..

Last edited:
steel "brace"
Inspirational tank. The pessimist in me would frame the complete unit with angle iron and 'T' section the central panel. Does it have lift out windows above the water line for maintenance, difficult to see. I still regard silicon glue as magic but that's me.

Does it have lift out windows above the water line for maintenance, difficult to see.

Looking close to the picture there is a vertical line all the way to the top where the diagonal corners meet. This must be the glass edge from the probably sliding doors.. The aluminium frame are like the rails for the door panels, if you look at the longest aqaurium side, above the water line and bellow the rail there are a few vent holes. It is the only picture i found from this setup, without any source reference.

Is it possible for you to get a curved glass piece manufactured for the front panel?

Is it possible for you to get a curved glass piece manufactured for the front panel?

Out of my budget, but in acrylic i could order it tomorow.. Thought of it tho.. More to say, dreamt of it looking at my bank account.. :D

Back