• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kris's 30L - Moving soon, new camera

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L **BIG UPDATE**

Kris I REALLY like the look of this mate. Tim has already said it looks 'natural'. I was about to say it looked really "biotopey". Lots of aquascapers strive for what you have achieved in there, so congrats :) And DAMN YOU ! Lol, cos now I am thinking even more about making my tank more of a biotope and less of a plant emporium lol.

Love this mate, absolutely love it. I really like the way you have dotted lots of different plants around to make the tank seem as natural as it can, must say you have done a great job! The leaves aswell, add to that 'au-naturel' look :) I want to do similar with mine seeming as im basing it on a river, really inspired me matey! Will be getting some Marsilea Crenata to add around the scape to make it look like shoots are sprouting up in places, like you have done :) Good job! :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Kris I REALLY like the look of this mate. Tim has already said it looks 'natural'. I was about to say it looked really "biotopey". Lots of aquascapers strive for what you have achieved in there, so congrats :) And DAMN YOU ! Lol, cos now I am thinking even more about making my tank more of a biotope and less of a plant emporium lol.

Thanks Chris :D Really, that praise means a lot! :thumbup:
I wouldn't call it a biotope, but I like the way it looks like something that you'd see in nature... if countries were all blended together :lol:
The shrimp enjoy it anyway. :D
You talking about the Dennerle ? I want to see some updates mate !! :D

HarryRobinson said:
Love this mate, absolutely love it. I really like the way you have dotted lots of different plants around to make the tank seem as natural as it can, must say you have done a great job! The leaves aswell, add to that 'au-naturel' look :) I want to do similar with mine seeming as im basing it on a river, really inspired me matey! Will be getting some Marsilea Crenata to add around the scape to make it look like shoots are sprouting up in places, like you have done :) Good job! :thumbup:

Thanks Harry, glad you like it!
Haha yeah I was trying to go all forest ranger type of thing :geek:
Can't wait to see your tank planted, bet you're itching to get some plants in there and livestock !

I have never tried marsilea crenata, heard it's good though when fully carpeted, and grows like a weed under the right conditions. Don't quote me though, as I don't know! :p

Today I have "modified" the Yeast CO2.

I originally had it on some plastic tubing straight out of the bottle, leading to an airstone in the tank itself, just under the outlet of the HOB. The bubbles were small, but not small enough for me, looking at everyones tanks on here.

I can't afford an atomizer right now, and I think I'm going to wait till I get my FE CO2 setup for that anyway!

So now I have removed the airstone, and stuck some fine filter sponge into the end of the pipe to break up the bubbles a small bit, and also placed the pipe right into the powerhead section of the HOB. It seems to be mashing up the bubbles considerably :D

I don't know if it's gassing off or not when it comes out of the outlet but a lot of very fine bubbles are blowing around the tank anyway so I think that's enough!

I am looking to get some ferts for the tank, as it is high light and now has CO2 that seems to be made more available to the plants.
Was going to go EI... But I don't have a clue :lol:

Anyone want to enlighten me on what they think I need for this tank ?

Thanks guys :D

How much is it mate ? Is that the Tropica one ?

The TPN+ or TNC complete would be fine for that tank Kris. But EI would ultimately be cheaper and is dead easy to do. If you want some info Clive wrote a brilliant thread which is in the articles section. Or PM me and I would be happy to help you work out the mixes :) I was lucky enough to be helped out myself and now it seems easy as Pie and cheap as Chips. And God knows I love my pie and chips ;)

Thanks for that Chris.

Unfortunately I bought the Lithuanian "Vimi All-in-one" in the end.
Got it for €5 in the end, so can't complain.

Think I will go EI in the future so you will be getting a PM :lol:

So.
Small update!

imag1053h.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-07-20

Got the new fert, its only 250ml bottle though, and at half a pump a day - I doubt it will last long :?

imag1056l.jpg

Lowered the light a little bit, as I felt that there was a lot of overspill of light.
I have no idea if that matters or not to the plants, but it was annoying me ! :lol:
Changed my CO2 yeast mixture and it seems to be working a treat !

Thanks for the link Sr20det :D

sr20det said:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21386&hilit=yeast+weeks

6wks apparently, worth a try :thumbup:

We'll have to see about the 6 weeks part :lol: Fingers crossed !

My Hydro Sp. Japan is starting to fill in a tiny bit too :D

imag1055k.jpg

I've added some new stems, anybody want to tell me what they are ?
I got them for nothing off my mate from his super high tech tank.

imag1054y.jpg

Shrimp are doing good, although haven't seen the CRS in a few days :arghh: Hope they're okay and just hiding somewhere :(

Having more diatom outbreaks on the glass. It never seems to go away! The substrate and the filter are both mature... I wonder what's making this ?

Thanks for reading guys.
Tips would be appreciated :D

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - Update 20/7/12

Tank looks in great shape mate, The, shrimp are racing round your tank like a velodrome by the looks haha!
Lowering the light will cause increased nutrient uptake, so be sure to monitor your co2 levels & Fertilizers accordingly.

Keep it up, I love the tank! :D

Whitey89 said:
Tank looks in great shape mate, The, shrimp are racing round your tank like a velodrome by the looks haha!
Lowering the light will cause increased nutrient uptake, so be sure to monitor your co2 levels & Fertilizers accordingly.

Nath is that a typo ? LOWER light causes INCREASED nutrient uptake ? I thought it was the other way round, but may have the wrong end of the stick ;)

Whitey89 said:
I meant Lowering the light closer to the surface, therefore increasing PAR, isn't that what Kris has done?

:oops: Quite possibly ! :lol: I read it that he had lowered as in reduced the lights but your interpretation is probably correct.

Kris ? Clarify please ? 8)

Whitey89 said:

Thanks very much Nath! :D

Whitey89 said:
I meant Lowering the light closer to the surface, therefore increasing PAR, isn't that what Kris has done?

This is indeed what I have done. Sorry for not being clear enough lads :lol:

Thanks for the tips Nath, will keep an eye and see how things go.

Forgot to mention about the luminaire also, one of the bulbs is blue actinic. Will this bring any advantages/disadvantages to the situation ?

Chris, maybe you can steer me here? :D

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - Update 31/7/12

Okay so a few updates, pics to follow later on tonight!

Lowered my light to 18W, and messed about with the CO2 so diffusion is much better now.
Although I am thinking of adding a little bit of Liquid Carbon to the tank soon. Speed things up ;)

The vallis I planted in the back, is hungry. It's already grown so long its doubled over on itself. Think I'll be getting rid of it soon.

Haven't added any more plants at all. My Hydrocotyle is stepping up its game a little bit.

3 new additions to livestock. I bought 3 Oto's a few days ago, and they seem to be happy as Larry - although they haven't made a dent in the diatoms on the sides of the tank yet!
I think they're just settling in.

Been chucking in little bits of blanched peas and cucmber for them, but as soon as it hits the water the shrimp crowd all over it.

:lol:

Thinking of getting another HOB to aid with flow.

Will post pics later !

Re: Giants Causeway "Lavagumi" 30L - BIG UPDATE 06/08/12

So, bit later than promised, I know..

BUT. Here are the pics.

The tanks starting to really pick up with the Ferts and CO2. For my first "real" planted tank, I'm starting to become quite proud of it!

Early days yet though I guess :thumbup:

So the livestock now consists of;

-Countless RCS.
-3 Otocinclus.
-1 Zebra Nerite. (This little guys absolutely nailed the diatoms overnight! Left little patterns over the tank, like frosted glass :lol:)

So... Pictures.

imag1181.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-08-06

imag1180r.jpg

imag1179g.jpg

imag1182s.jpg

imag1183m.jpg

imag1184y.jpg

imag1185v.jpg

imag1188t.jpg

imag1189.jpg

imag1189.jpg

imag1190.jpg

Now for the bad news.

My stems are looking a little bit baldy, should I trim them right back ?

imag1186.jpg

And there's a stick full of moss that has turned into some weird Green Hair Algae :?: bush.

:thumbdown:

Should I treat it with Liquid Carbon ? Or will it kill the moss?

imag1187y.jpg

So thanks for looking guys!

As usual, try and leave me as much feedback as possible - good OR bad! :)

Mike, I try and try and try...... 3 otos and a Nerite later, I've got about 30% of the glass clean :lol:

Looking good Kris. And that fissidens looks pukka mate. PS the Crypts were, as Nat pointed out, GREEN ONES lol. I dont think they would have been suited to this though. However, I reckon some nice rotala at the back would go great :)

Antipofish said:
Looking good Kris. And that fissidens looks pukka mate. PS the Crypts were, as Nat pointed out, GREEN ONES lol. I dont think they would have been suited to this though. However, I reckon some nice rotala at the back would go great :)

Thanks mate !

I wish I had a better camera to get some decent shots, it looks a lot better in the flesh :)

Haha I know I'm a dope, My stems in this tank aren't doing so well to be honest mate, check out the last few pics.
Really baldy.

Back