• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Rekord 120 tank

Old Cory's next to Staurogyne on wood:
4812765980_2709307a60.jpg

Tank looking very bare now:
4812792590_87670fbfde.jpg

I returned from holidays to see the tank almost completely covered with a weird algae, it looked like a mix of Cladophora, Staghorn and hair algae.

I left the tank to have 40W light for 8 hours a day, no WC, ferts added twice a week and CO2 on. Fish were feed every day.

Most of the stem plants had to be thrown away, a heavy trim did the job, the mosses had to be trimmed hard, and the Java fern was also trimmed hard.

Odd enough a carpet of Marsilea Hirsurta was formed without any algae on it, and this on a very low light area.

The tank remained with 40W light 8 hours a day, and easy carbo was dosed after a 80% water change.

Will rescape soon, but for now I need to bring the tank back from algae paradise. :)

Most likely the cause of the algae was over feeding, when on hols I ask for my fish to be fed only once a week, max twice. If going away for a week or less I don't even bother asking anyone to come and check on the tank. Auto CO2, Auto dosing, no feeding required!

Yeah, over feeding may have been an issue. I told my sister to just give them a little, it turns out that she gave a little, my mother gave a little and my granny had a go as well.. LOL..

Back