• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL ProFlora reg hissing

Franks

Hi all, I've just hooked up this reg and when pressurised it leaks through the tiny hole in the metal body of the reg. I can put my finger on it to stop the leak so know it's 100% the issue.

I take it this indicates a diagraph fault?

Attachments

• PXL_20230625_182829391.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230625_182829391.MP~2.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 158
Hi, I’m not an expert on the JBL regulator but most regulators have a pressure release mechanism and this may be that. Might be worth checking the instruction manual for the settings and if this could be activated by high cylinder pressure. Worth a look

I have sent JBL a question via their website. Hopefully they can shed some light on the issue.

I'll report back when I hear from them.

Yep, all connected properly. Instructions state to only hand tighten as it's a knurled fitting with difficult access to get your hand on it. I've also used some grips to aid and the same hissing from the hole is present.

This is JBLs Professional reg but it's not got a master shut off valve which I find odd? Looking through the instructions, there is also talk of a pressure reducer valve (a further £60) that is fitted to some of their regulators I assume to make them all cross compatible for small 200g canisters and large refillable cylinders with much higher pressure.

The kit is the M503 and the picture on the box shows the 2kg cylinder (which I have) and the exact same regulator so I don't know why I might also need an online pressure reducer valve but it makes sense that the reg is offloading this excess pressure I guess.

Hopefully JBL will get back with some information.

Hi Hoggie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did actually nip that up with a 6mm Allen but perhaps I'm missing a seal as it still seems a bit loose. I'll check it over tonight and report back.👍🏼

Fixed it - 6 wraps of PTFE of the threads to block the hole.

I saw on the Olivetta website that flat washers were sold to literally dump into the body of the reg so it's clear that hole needs to be filled to prevent gas escaping. I can only assume it's purpose is for mounting small aerosol style canisters which have a different lock off nut and on these regs, that can be swapped over.

Just pressurised it and locked off the canister for the night to see it holds the pressure in the body of the reg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626-215908.png
    Screenshot_20230626-215908.png
    514.5 KB · Views: 75
Ah right. Well mine is the pro version included in the M503 kit and has a controllable solenoid bolted to it but in essence it's the same as above and has no way to adjust the incoming pressure like my Co2 Art regulators - so bloody over complicated all this JBL gear! That's why I think that hole is drilled into body - aerosol canisters will likely have some sort of insert that blocks it and the instructions for connecting an aerosol state 'just keep turning until the hissing stops'

Even setting up the bubble counter involves springs, gaskets and rubber grommets!

Anyway, the body of the reg is holding pressure having checked this morning but the working pressure is only 20psi so that might be a struggle with an inline diffuser. Although JBL supply a Co2 bubble ladder with the kit that would require very little pressure.

I have a spare Co2Art reg but I really wanted to give this pH controller a proper go and have it actuate the solenoid on the regulator.

Hi
That regulator is not compatible for use with aerosol-type cans!
To adjust the working pressure remove the black plastic cover situated on the front of the regulator, and use a Allen Key to move the dial towards 2.5 Bar!
The solenoid must be switched on and the needle valve open!
hoggie

According to JBL support - that hole is the relief valve. In my opinion, it's not the relief valve, it's a hole in the threaded body of the regulator housing that serves an unknown purpose and the actual relief valve is the larger black piece of plastic that can be removed and has a spring underneath it to vent excessive pressure?

They have said According to the description, it will be a defective internal seal that must be replaced, this solution you describe is not good. Please replace the gasket.

My solution was adding PTFE tape to the threads of the knurled locking nut to block the random hole in the body that seemingly serves no purpose. The regulator is now holding pressure and seemingly works fine?

Okay @Franks
I have a JBL Reg up and running at the moment!
Here are a few images...
The first one has no hole beside the connecting point!
P1080837.JPG

In the second Image, there is a hole near the front of the regulator!
P1080836.JPG

The third Image is where you adjust the working pressure!
P1080838.JPG

hoggie

Thanks for this Hoggie - pictures speak volumes!

Our regs look identical in body with a few subtle differences. In pic one, my canister locking nut is round and knurled and apparently is designed this way so you can finger tighten to your chosen canister? Mine also has a hole drilled which I really can see no purpose for as the gas that would be sealed by the connection being made is allowed to escape via the threads and that hole. My reg also has that black vent the same as yours. This, to me, is the pressure bypass?

My reg also doesn't have a hole at the front as seen in pic two?

Seema JBL make loads of different versions of their regs which is over complicating this.

Thanks for your help.

Back