Very nicely made
Double suction cups allow you to tilt the outlet back if you want more surface agitation (overnight perhaps)
Easy to clean and seem to stay cleaner for longer
Obviously not going to break if you’re a bit rough when cleaning them
Slightly more intrusive within the grand scheme of things
Jet type outlet can be quite intense
Not a great deal of surface agitation when setup normally
For me atleast this is how I got round a couple of the issue…
To increase surface agitation I removed the top portion of the outlet end (beak) and manipulated the bottom section to aid water flowing upwards more. This work was done with a dremel, needle file and some water pump pliers. Picture below
I still had plenty of flow, the surface agitation had increased to a nice ripple however I found a bit of a dead spot in the RHS underneath the inlet. Ditritus would gather there frequently.
To solve this one I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the outlet as a bypass to aim some of the water down to that area. It’s worked a treat and has completely solved the dead spot issue, there has been no negative effect on flow / surface agitation as far as I can tell.
Another finding is that pea puffers are very strong swimmers despite their fin size. I had wondered when I bought the jet pipe if it would be too much for them to handle. They don’t seem bothered in the slightest. I’m quite impressed actually, they make it look effortless. If you watch them close the fins are moving so fast you almost can’t see them move at all, much like a humming bird.
I’m excited to try some new plants in prep for the 90p.
The tank is still mostly trouble free, with the largely reduced plant mass after evicting the Sagittarius I am getting some dust algae on the glass each week. Very easy to clean off though so I’m not overly bothered.
I’ve reduced fertilisation to 1ml a day of APT complete. Could have possibly switched over to APT zero as the plant load is minimal and the pea puffers are messy eaters.
Not too much has changed with this, L.Aromatic is slowly filling out the rear, crypts have made a return, these have simply grown out again from roots deep in the substrate.
Overall maintenance is still easy at 1 50% water change a week.
Prefilter clean on the biomaster weekly and clean the glass.
Roughly every 7/8 weeks I’ll strip the hoses off and do a through clean.
Minor BBA on some of the slow grower in high flow areas and some appearing on the wood now once again in a high flow area.
I’ve not really done anything to cease this as It doesn’t bother me. Most plants in nature sure aren't perfectly grown or in immaculate condition, so I see it as a more natural approach to my scape.
Nice. I ended up going with a supplementary All Ponds Solutions Skim 1 as recommended by @Simon Cole and sourcing an outflow attachment from Ali Express after @shangman pointed me in that direction. Your solution is far more elegant though.