• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi in the TMC Microhabitat 8L?

Luketendo

Hey again everyone, just recently came back to this forum after starting marine during the past couple of years and I've thought that since I have a job now I could start investing in planted tanks again. I also apologise if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure if it'd be better off in the journal forums, but I haven't even ordered the tank yet, just want to know the possibilities.

Anyway my PFK subscription has run out and it also appears that there is an offer on at the moment where they are giving away an 8L tank with a 2 year subscription. This tank comes with an LED light and filtration in the back of the tank with a 300lph pump I think I read somewhere? Anyway since I don't really have room for another conventional sized tank in my house, I thought this would be a good idea since the tank is about 15cmL x 20H x 25W, but I assume the width in the tank is due to the filtration in the back, so it's less in practice.

Anyway so far, my planted tank experience stretches to this; viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2256 . Not much really, which is why I thought that using this small tank would be a cost efficient way of taking a step up, as obviously it's smaller so less plant buying, less hardscape and costs. And perhaps more simple on the aquascaping front (or am I devilishly mistaken?!) Anyway, the initial thinking is trying out Iwagumi, since I've never tried rock in a planted tank before really, not for great effect anyway. I'm looking at none other than the mini landscaping rocks from aquaessentials of course, due to their size and kind of classic iwagumi look, dragon stone looks nice, but something makes me feel it'd be harder to make it look right. I was thinking of just having a large rock in the middle, with other rocks protruding from the substrate, or something to that effect. While I'm on the subject of substrate, am I right in saying ADA aquasoil is still the best? If so, which one would be best because I've just recently spotted the analysis that somebody did on the different types which shoes them to majorly vary in pH and nutrient levels. Also am I right in saying I don't have to put anything on top of the aquasoil and is there a certain minimum depth I need to have? Since the tank is too small, I don't want to have too much substrate towards the front, towards the back is a different story I know.

Ok, enough of that, I'm not really sure what kind of plant species I'd be looking at. I heard HC works well with the new 'Dry Start Method', but when I investigated further I saw that to ease the transition between being emmersed and submerged you need to add lots of CO2 to the water prior to filling the tank, so since I don't really want to use CO2 I don't think I can do this. I do have a DIY CO2 set, but I don't really want to be using it, I'd rather just stick with whatever the current best liquid carbon is and whatever liquid ferts would be best as at 8L cost isn't too much of an issue, not sure on what the best stuff nowadays is though. So I'm not sure if I can use a HC carpet, but I've seen a few other options such as Glosso and Marselia, however I've heard Glosso is harder to grow than HC and Marselia is extremely slow growing and as it is due to my lack of CO2 and probably low light (not sure how strong it is) growth will be quite slow whatever I choose right? As for other plants there's Hairgrass and Chain Sword that I think are sometimes used in Iwagumi and I was thinking of other small plants like Staurogyne and Pogostemon helferi, although are these Iwagumi plants, not sure what counts and what doesn't, although I rather like them anyway. However once again, I'm not too sure what would work in this tank with it's current hardware (which I'd rather stick too) and of course I'm limited to nano plants. Moss is an option since I've grown it in my other tank but not too sure if it'd have a nice effect or not.

Anyway I think that's just about everything I wanted to cover, sorry for asking so much :oops: , let me know your opinions on what I should choose and if Iwagumi is suitable at all even really!

PS: I will probably just have CRS in this tank as I've not had them before, but if anyone can think of anything suitable, go ahead, but I'm not sure it's even big enough for Boraras!

And oh yeah, just one other thing I forgot, the tank has a black background but Iwagumi usually have white, is this going to be a problem?

I think an Iwagumi is completely doable providing you pick both plants and hardscape with a suitable small scale.

Here is an Iwagumi that George did in a very similar tank (although slightly bigger);
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10936

If you wanted a really easy plant you could just use moss like Oliver Knott used in this nano;
http://www.pbase.com/plantella/naturesoil_stepbystep_layout2

One big consideration with plant choice would be wether you want to dose liquid carbon or not?

NeilW said:
I think an Iwagumi is completely doable providing you pick both plants and hardscape with a suitable small scale.

Here is an Iwagumi that George did in a very similar tank (although slightly bigger);
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10936

If you wanted a really easy plant you could just use moss like Oliver Knott used in this nano;
http://www.pbase.com/plantella/naturesoil_stepbystep_layout2

One big consideration with plant choice would be wether you want to dose liquid carbon or not?

Yep I do want to dose liquid carbon, what's the best one nowadays? Sorry If I came across a bit confusing!

I do still have a 250ml bottle of Easycarbo which is rather full, however it's now about 2 years old so would it be best if I got fresh stuff?

Also another thing to add to the original post, I'm planning on using perhaps half tap water and half RO water to soften the water for the future shrimp, and I hear plants like it too right?

Also the journals look good to me, I'd be more inclined to try the way George did it, without leaving the tank unattended for too long of course :p . Could try it with HC I spose and then I few background plants perhaps.

Whichever brand you use makes no odds really but I think they are diluted to different degrees so I don't know which one works out most cost effective. On a nano that size it would last for ages anyways so cost is hardly an issue. On EasyCarbo the expiry date is on the back of the bottle btw so check against that to see if you need some more.

Most plants don't mind wether they have hard or soft water, its only bizarre stuff like Tonia or UG that are more fussy and have more specific soft water requirements.

What PH does your tap water test at? If its between 7 and 7.5 I wouldn't bother with RO as your CRS will be fine and will still breed. My tap water tests at 8.5 so I knock this down to 7 using RO but I had to work out what ratio I needed using Pearsons Square. I would say 7 is good to aim for as it is easier to maintain then the usually recommended PH of 6.5 or 6 for CRS.

NeilW said:
Whichever brand you use makes no odds really but I think they are diluted to different degrees so I don't know which one works out most cost effective. On a nano that size it would last for ages anyways so cost is hardly an issue. On EasyCarbo the expiry date is on the back of the bottle btw so check against that to see if you need some more.

Most plants don't mind wether they have hard or soft water, its only bizarre stuff like Tonia or UG that are more fussy and have more specific soft water requirements.

What PH does your tap water test at? If its between 7 and 7.5 I wouldn't bother with RO as your CRS will be fine and will still breed. My tap water tests at 8.5 so I knock this down to 7 using RO but I had to work out what ratio I needed using Pearsons Square. I would say 7 is good to aim for as it is easier to maintain then the usually recommended PH of 6.5 or 6 for CRS.

Not sure what the pH tests at recently, however in the past it's always been within the change you stated, I will see if I can find a pH test kit knocking around anyway. Although I went on my water board website earlier and it turns out my GH is only 6.27! Apparently CRS like between 4-6 or 4-10 so I guess it ain't really needed and I could just keep it all for my marine tank anyways. Only niggle is stupid me I changed my other tank for half RO the other day turns out in Celestial Pearl Danio breeding article they like 8GH, so I should have left it how it was, oh well that's beside the point.

Anyway just had a look on my EasyCarbo and can't actually find a date, maybe I'm just stupid or maybe it's because it's so old. I'll just get some new stuff.

Back