• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ivy

Mark12345

Hi all,
I recently cut down some old ivy, there were one or two reasonable looking pieces, I was wondering if they are fish safe, or if they are too soft and would rot away too quickly. If I can re-use great, otherwise another trip to the tip.
Are there any real no no's with wood in general as I have an old conifer, and magnolia that require some heavy pruning.
Thanks Mark

Attachments

• 20240608_091120.jpg
    20240608_091120.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240608_091049.jpg
    20240608_091049.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
I think it’s okay to use if it’s properly dead and dried out. I wouldn’t add it if it’s still got some sap. It will rot after about 6 months. Ivy.

Same with any other kind of wood, including Azalea root. I wouldn’t use conifer wood at all though. It’s best to strip the bark from all dead wood.

I cut some down maybe 18 months ago, kept outside I use it to add cover to the Robins nest box to deter the crows and magpies from predating the nest( it worked🙂) no sign of rot . It's been open to weather all the time, as l do with my collected oak ,hawthorn,,but undecided how it would be submerged

Back