• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Issue - diatom "brown algae"

Dalmatinac

I need advice related to diatom "brown algae"

Is there a way to get rid of it..
Aquarium is 5 months old, well planted, details on the link: My New planted tank Advice welcome

Last few months I am struggling to get rid of diatoms!
few weeks ago SIO2 was very high with in aquarium, now it is 3-4-ish
I have tried with seachem phoseguard/bond,
Interestingly, testing Dennerle Osmoses Pro 190 RO water, SIO2 is still above green as per JBL test - on pure RO.

What can be improved, changed?
Any advice is more than welcome!
Cheers

Hi all,
Aquarium is 5 months old,
They will go away eventually, have a look at <"seasoned tank time">.
Is there a way to get rid of it..
Yes just wait, I know it doesn't sound very proactive, but it works. I have <"snails in my tanks"> and they definitely help with all algae.
Last few months I am struggling to get rid of diatoms!
few weeks ago SIO2 was very high with in aquarium, now it is 3-4-ish
I have tried with seachem phoseguard/bond,
Same again just <"ignore the silicon level">. The <"unscrupulous companies"> that sell silicate / phosphate removers know <"they serve no useful purpose">, it is just a <"revenue stream"> for them. Phosphate is one of the three essential macronutrients for plant growth, plants will deplete it. The amount of SiO2 is just irrelevant, but if you really wanted to deplete it <"Ceratophyllum demersum"> has <"a silicified stem">.
Interestingly, testing Dennerle Osmoses Pro 190 RO water, SIO2 is still above green as per JBL test - on pure RO.
That is because the test kit, even if it is accurate, isn't <"measuring a useful parameter">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi @Dalmatinac - did you get any success removing the diatoms. I have a similar problem for some months now - mainly covering the sand.

Back