• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is this brown algae?

is this brown algae or some thing else?....I had to use some medication and shortly after that this brownish dust like stuff started to show on plants, soil, stones...it's also a new set up tank without a cleaning crew (shrimp, otto.) ...I'm going to get those tomorrow, but will it help????? ...cleaned the stones with toothbrush (note to myself: buy new toothbrush for the wife), but I can't see me doing this with the plants:cyclops:
I am still doing 50% water changes every day for 3 weeks now...should I up the light? (now 7hr 2x54W and 1hr 4x54W for 290ltr)
2013-12-30211306_zps037eb1a9.jpg

Hi
Your aquarium is going through the maturing stage.
Lower your lighting period to 5 hours and use 2 bulbs.
Do gravel cleaning before water changes.
Do smaller regular water changes 25% every other day.
Get some fast growing stem plants and some floaters.
hoggie

It was matured before...kept the filter running, the bacteria alive, re using soil I only used for about 3 months....but, I had to kill bacteria to be able to keep the fish...big bummer...
I will lower the lighting period and get some fast growers...didn't realise I had to start over

Back