• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is it safe

flappa

Seedling
hi i have a chance of a used tank but it has been used to keep turtles. Would it be safe to keep fish in using filter and media that was used when keeping the turtles. Would i need to boil all the media or would it all need replacing. What would be the best way to clean it all the tank is a fluval vicenza 260 comes with 305 filter

The tank and media are up to it no probs. Not sure about the disease risk - i'd reasearch that on t'internet if i was you. If there is a risk i'd boil the media and clean everything down with a bleach solution before rinsing every thing off with LOADS of water. I'd drink out of it after that so it can't be that dirty!
Cheers!
Matt

thanks for your response i have tried to research it but couldnt find the answers so i guess ill just boil and bleach

My tank was previously used for turtles.

I cleaned it with sterilising tabs and powder (basically bleach), and rinsed lots of times with dechlorinated water. All was good, its been running fine for 6 months with community fish. Only problem is scratches on the tank.

I'd consider changing the media, stripping the filter down and sterilising it all.

did you change the media its peace of mind knowing your fish have been fine. did you clean all tank and run the filter with the bleach solution??? sorry for all questions just want to make sure i get this right

Back