• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is expensive bio media worth it?

Is expensive bio media worth it?

• Total voters
To be fair the major difference is after a week or two rather than when the filter is clean. The larger number of holes maintains the flow as the sponges clog, much better than the standard number of holes, as it allows more even flow though all parts of the prefilter sponges.
I fear you may have missed the whole point of having an easily accessible pre filter. Many folks seem to give their pre filters a rinse once every week or so. Mine certainly don’t get very clogged as you put it, in a week or even two.

As for saving a few pennies on a piece of pipe that might compromise the efficiency of their design seems highly unlikely to me but anythings possible I suppose.
I may try fitting a larger pipe at some point but I’m not expecting it to make any difference. It’ll be a nice surprise though if it does.

I fear you may have missed the whole point of having an easily accessible pre filter. Many folks seem to give their pre filters a rinse once every week or so. Mine certainly don’t get very clogged as you put it, in a week or even two.

As for saving a few pennies on a piece of pipe that might compromise the efficiency of their design seems highly unlikely to me but anythings possible I suppose.
I may try fitting a larger pipe at some point but I’m not expecting it to make any difference. It’ll be a nice surprise though if it does.

I can't help but feel you're labouring the point unnecessarily here. You can cut extra holes in the pipe, or swap out the pipe for a larger pipe, or do neither and leave it as it comes in the box. It's not exactly a big job either way, and its a minor modification.

I find the extra holes help and maintain consistent flow for longer, your personal mileage may vary, and will depend entirely on the type of tank you are running - so just do (or don't do) what you feel is best for your situation.

I can't help but feel you're labouring the point unnecessarily here. You can cut extra holes in the pipe, or swap out the pipe for a larger pipe, or do neither and leave it as it comes in the box. It's not exactly a big job either way, and its a minor modification.

I find the extra holes help and maintain consistent flow for longer, your personal mileage may vary, and will depend entirely on the type of tank you are running - so just do (or don't do) what you feel is best for your situation.
It’s nice to see exactly what others have done so perhaps you’d take a picture of your modification for me next time you clean the filter.
How often do you clean your pre filter?

Back