• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is anyone crying yet?

Thanks Marcel, Paulo and AWB. Got my son to install one a few moments ago, just for peace of mind more than anything else...I'm a bit of a Luddite I'm afraid:meh:

Haha don't worry about it Tim, the people who got caught out with this are supposedly pros, it happens. In all fairness in their defence they had financial constraints. They could only do so much if no one is willing to pay.
It's always been a game of cat and mouse with these people, hackers look for a vulnerability and exploit it, software developers find a fix and distribute it and so on and so forth, it will never end. Far too much of our personal life is kept online these days and there's big money to be made by accessing it. A lot of the top hackers if they don't go to jail end up working for security firms testing their code.
Unfortunately if we want to use modern gadgets we pay the price of privacy. Depends how much you want to give away.
There are various sites that will pay you for surveys, giving you vouchers for Amazon etc which I think is a fairer way of gathering data. You enter in full well knowing what's happening and you reap the rewards. Or, you buy an android phone, Google tell you they are going to take your data but nobody reads it and they get their money by using that data for advertising things they think you will buy. As does Facebook etc.
There are options to stop apps accessing your contacts or files or GPS position but if the app is free you tend to find it won't work without you allowing it. I also read lately that some apps are teaming up for instance if you deny access to contacts on one app and file access to another they will correlate the info from both apps. Makes you wonder why Facebook which adding your mobile number was optional bought whatsapp where you need to use your mobile number to work. You share something on Facebook with friends and now they have all your friends numbers as well.
It's no coincidence that when you put your phone number in for an insurance quote that the following days you get badgered by loads of nuisance phone calls.
I bought a car last week from a garage and at the end the salesman said because they were regulated they had to ask some questions, asking me if I had roadside cover and what would I do if I had to do without a car. Do me a favour, you know that info is going straight to third parties. Information is big business, there's a saying that when you buy a mobile phone you are not buying a product, you are the product.
Every time you leave the house they know where you went, which shops you went in, who you were with, what you spent, what you bought, who you were talking to, what you were saying,what you looked for on the Internet as well as countless images and cctv footage of you doing it. The big difference is you agreed to it all in the disclaimer you didn't read when you installed the app.
Sorry, had my tin foil hat on again, I'm going back to my cave, it's safe there. Time to get off the grid.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

The future is scary in a more connected world, don't know if that's for the better or worse. At least no one has to die, one man can bring your country to its knees from the comfort of their arm chair and copious amounts of black coffee. Now that everything is getting connected with the Internet of things the whole thing could be started by someone hacking your fridge and using it as the host hahaha

My condolences for the one assigned to follow me all day.. He/she must have the most boring job on the planet. :rolleyes: Also for the hacker in my PC, he must be rather anoyed with himself doing all the effort to get in there and than only find useless bull and me babbling all day long about aquariums and stuff. So he want be for long.

Same for me mate, however when they see you babbling about planted aquariums I'll guarantee you next time you look on your browser or Facebook page there will be an advert for something related to aquarium, in my case it's usually co2 art.

That is what the cooky is for if i remember correctly.. A few years ago a tracking cooky used to be something nasty, now it is silenced and commonly accepted and not even scanned for anylonger.

But it indeed can be imbaracing sometimes, googling sexy underware and an hour later watching youtube with my granny and seeing a sexy underware banner rolling along. o_O:pompus::snaphappy::lol:

Haha, and for me too:D

Edit...that is, the babbling on about aquascaping thing...
...definitely not watching sexy underwear banners with grannyo_O

That is what the cooky is for if i remember correctly.. A few years ago a tracking cooky used to be something nasty, now it is silenced and commonly accepted and not even scanned for anylonger.

But it indeed can be imbaracing sometimes, googling sexy underware and an hour later watching youtube with my granny and seeing a sexy underware banner rolling along. o_O:pompus::snaphappy:
I think that's why every site now has to warn you it will be taking cookies. I often miss out the in between words when searching the Internet like "Plants for planted tanks" I would miss out the for. Waste of typing, it knows what I mean. This led to an embarrassing situation when I was with with my 7yo daughter trying to find out if the rabbit we got was a boy or girl. You can imagine what came up when I searched for "sex rabbit" even sex toy under the sun. Bought myself a butt plug as an impulse buy

I tend to use duck duck go these days. Doesn't bring up as many pages as say google but I get the information I'm looking for rather than what Google is getting paid for me to see but no adverts unless you ask for them and respects your privacy. Obviously the more people that use it the better it will get as it had more data to correlate and has the added feature of checking if the site you're looking for is indeed verified which is handy for online banking etc

Haha, and for me too:D

Edit...that is, the babbling on about aquascaping thing...
...definitely not watching sexy underwear banners with grannyo_O
Hahaha, me neither, just making a cooky statment.. You need to be carefull what to google for nowadays. Privacy is getting thinner everyday and before you know the dirty laundry hangs at the front door. :rolleyes: In many cases it's a good thing too.. Because still a lot of nasty roams the net because protected with privacy issues. The good suffers in this case with the bad unfortunately.

I remember a quote that said, if goverments only knew up front what impact internet would have on society the day it was launched it would never have been granted. In the way it excists today they realized it was a mistake and its a thorn in their eye.

For sure, I've only just got my head around the govt having access to so much information but third parties a definite no. The problem with having so much information on somebody is the damage caused in the wrong hands. Just look at the news, even before being found guilty of anything they run stories about people having affairs etc and loads of stuff totally unrelated to the case then find out they weren't guilty after totally destroying their lives. I'm assuming the police haven't released any of this info in fear of damaging the case.
My missus had a row with a cyclist once and he decided to film the whole thing with a hat cam which he said he was doing. Now then, my missus doesn't do social media at all, never appears on my Facebook or anything, I think she Snapchats her family but that's about it which I respect.
Now this guy has footage on his computer and can upload that to anything on the Web for whatever reason. That to me is an invasion of privacy in my eyes .Am I going to come across this footage one day on YouTube or someone send it to me. If I had been then I'd have ripped the head cam off and stuffed it up his blahblahblahblah. Now that would have been a big hitter on YouTube.

Back