• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

inline diffuser

Roediger

hello everyone. been a few weeks lol.

do you think this is good diffusion for my 29 gal? i dont want to see BBA again. have some surface movement for the fishes sake.

my ludwigia is the only plant losing leaves.. can anyone help pin this difficiency. all plants are are getting co2 at the bottom. bacopas and rotala green are next to it and doing fine.

thank you.

Attachments

• 20180201_234517.jpg
    20180201_234517.jpg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 101
Hello bud, most people will have the flow going in the same direction, your koralia appears to be pointing towards the outlet of the lily pipe. This has a cancelling effect. If it was me I would have the koralia next to the lily pointing in same direction but facing down a bit, the lily will take care of the upper levels and the koralia down to substrate.

Have you recently added the ludwigia? Sometimes they do ditch a few leaves when adjusting to new conditions. What you dosing?

From the info you have given its hard to tell what the CO2 levels are or if they are stable.

A pH profile of before CO2 starts and for the whole photo period would be more informative, plus what colour does the DC change allowing time for it to change as well. The DC colour as CO2 goes off is most likely the stable and max drop, so the pH taken then and compare with the pH when the lights come on. A stable CO2 profile is must, with the pH drop being optimal for lights on which can take two hours, one of my tanks takes 3hrs but big pH drop.

Plus it can take some time eg weeks for the plants to adjust to the CO2, some are slower than others OFC. Decreasing the photo period and/or light intensity during the adjustment period helps too.

EI dosing ? And reg WC. I would trim all algea infested leaves as just helps the algea to multiply faster.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Double Love at same time

ok , so let me start with the Ph testing. I have done a Ph testing when lights are not on its at 7.6. co2 starts 2hrs before lights on ; when lights turn on ph is 6.8 , DC is green. after 1 hr of lights being on co2 is at 6.6 and DC is lime green. when co2 turns off i did a test and it was 6.6 still and DC was lime green.

as for my crazy fan being faced the opposite . the pump is facing the front, but pointing down to give the bottom leaves a chance to get co2. the AR plants showed a good sign like this. but it can be due to me increasing Co2 LOL. so you are saying to place the pump next to the lily but face it slightly downwards. wont this cause a somewhat negative effect as well since one is point down and one across. or will they meet in current and move the same way?

Dosing is EI. I have a dosing question... that came to my mind. looking at forums and saw somewhere that a tank should get 20 ppm a week of kno3. so my tank is a 29 gal. on this website https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/ei_calculator/ shows what i should be dosing and attached a pic. says to dose 16ml of macro and micros on odd days. I am following directions so idk why my plants are fighting against me.

my low tech gives me 0 problems... no co2 added only top offs and sometimes a 20% Wc. tank has soil. growing anacharis , ludwigia which some leaves did die on bottom. bacopas. crypts moss. mylo green, recently added ludwigia arcuata. and looks like its working its way to a nice plant. arcuata planted in med light, co2 , ada soil and died lol. I just dont get it. can it be my eco complete is messing me up!!!!!

monte carlo grows and gets bba... in high tech. at least I am appreciating my hair grass that's finally growing... sorry for my rambling lost and upset atm..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 77
Ph testing when lights are not on its at 7.6. co2 starts 2hrs before lights on ; when lights turn on ph is 6.8 , DC is green. after 1 hr of lights being on co2 is at 6.6 and DC is lime green. when co2 turns off i did a test and it was 6.6 still and DC was lime green.

So 1.0pH drop is good, but only 0.8pH drop by lights on, I would have the CO2 coming on earlier (most folk use 2hrs) as the [CO2] at lights on needs to be optimal and then stable. Doing a pH test when lights go off is useful too as you may be able to turn the CO2 off earlier, the general consensus is 30mins to 2hrs before lights off, the reason is plants have had there fill of CO2 after 4/5hrs so demand drops. I use 2hrs before lights off, my lights do reduced intensity towards end of photoperiod too.

As for EI dosing standerd EI dose for your tank should be plenty dont get caught up with the numbers.

my low tech gives me 0 problems...

CO2 does give most folk issues as its not implemented correctly ie not optimal at lights on not stable for photo period, flow not good - so [CO2] varies throughout the photoperiod so plants never really get a constant [CO2] so they keep adjusting there internal mechanisms to make the most of the CO2 which uses energy and CO2 is constantly changing. When CO2 isnt injected the CO2 levels are constant so plants thrive but grow slower. Clive quoted somewhere that 90% of folk that use CO2 injection have it implemented badly and end up with issues which are CO2 related in combo with poor flow and/or too much light

as for my crazy fan being faced the opposite . the pump is facing the front, but pointing down to give the bottom leaves a chance to get co2. the AR plants showed a good sign like this. but it can be due to me increasing Co2 LOL. so you are saying to place the pump next to the lily but face it slightly downwards. wont this cause a somewhat negative effect as well since one is point down and one across. or will they meet in current and move the same way?

I think it's beneficial to have the flow all going in one direction, most will put spray bars at top facing front slightly down creating flow from back to front or go from left to right. I would put the fan heading left to right same as the lily but lower down on the tank glass so you are getting all the water pushing in one direction at all levels of the tank. The way you have it now the lily outlet is going left to right then hitting the fan outflow about two thirds along the tank creating a mish mash of directions.

my low tech gives me 0 problems... no co2 added only top offs and sometimes a 20% Wc. tank has soil. growing anacharis , ludwigia which some leaves did die on bottom. bacopas. crypts moss. mylo green, recently added ludwigia arcuata. and looks like its working its way to a nice plant. arcuata planted in med light

Low tech and high are two different concepts. Without a doubt injection co2 into a tank speeds up growth but it does come with its own set of problems. I'm assuming your low tech tank also has lower lighting so the plants aren't pushed. Plants adapt to their environment, and while they do this they tend to do what's best for themselves for survival. They're not fighting you, although that's how it seems at times they are just making the best of the situation they're in. If a plant feels like its best way of surviving is to ditch some leaves in favour of some other leaves that stand more of a chance it will ditch those leaves and spend its energy on the ones that will. In low tech the plants get used to the fact that there's not much co2 about and this is pretty stable. The plant adapts to that, knows what's coming on a day to day basis and the lighting isn't pushing them to grow while they're in unfavourable conditions.

It can take plants 2 to 3 weeks to adapt to their conditions so in low tech they adapt then find themselves living in those conditions and steadily grow albeit more slowly. In co2 injected tanks things can be up and down, they adapt to the situation then there's more plant mass, flow changes and more co2 being consumed and before they know where they are at they need to adapt again consuming more energy in doing so.

Once you start injecting co2 and pushing up lighting everything needs to be on point and try as much as possible to keep things stable, make changes incrementally and give them a few weeks before trying something else. As @Zeus. EI should cover your ferts so you can feel comfortable about that and concentrate on the co2 and flow..the two hardest bits. If you have the ability to turn down your lighting I would do that also. Sounds to me like you are still fine tuning your co2 injection. Lower lighting will give you more chance for error, high lighting has a chain of give me co2 and give me ferts now, one not right and the growth process crashes, plant gets weakened, algae capitalise and jump in. Its not cast in stone that co2 and EI need to have high lighting.

Aim for the 1 ph drop by lights on, when the lights come on that should be when your PH is at its lowest for the day. Takes some messing with either injection rate or timing but like I say if the lights are lower the plants won't freak out as much if it's not right. Once you get to that point where you think the injection is sitting nice, leave it for a couple of weeks and monitor. No problems, then maybe crank that light up a touch. Again, monitor for a couple of weeks until you think you've hit the point where your level of lighting is married up to the plant growth and injection. How far you go with the lighting depends on how much hassle you want the tank to be. The higher the lighting the more work is required from you, more water changes, more trimming and keeping the co2 and tank cleanliness at its peak at all times. The higher the lighting the finer the line you're walking.

Some people do this because they want to, some do it because they enjoy filling out a scape quick, photographing it then scrapping it and starting another and some do it for competitions they are entering but its not necessary all the time. I personally subscribe to the mantra of slow and steady growth, I find it makes the hobby more enjoyable and relaxing and I can spend more time looking at it than working on it.

You can have tanks with no co2, tanks with some co2 and tanks with high levels of co2, the lights will decide which one you need. They all grow plants though.

hello guys, thanks for your help.

i placed the fan on the same side. maybe i need to downgrade to a less powerful one. this is a 500gph fan.

Can you put it further down the glass mate to get that flow at lower levels? Regarding the power, looks good to me. You'll feel the benefit when the plants fill out a bit and a lot of that flow gets obstructed by them.

Back