• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Increasing ferts dosing

Hi,

Just wondering,

Do you need to increase fertiliser accordingly when the plants grow? Or it’s just better to keep it on same level all the time?

Which method of fertilizing are you using? If you use EI then there should be no need to increase fertilizer, unless you have an unusually large amount of emersed plants (plants growing out above the water).
If you use a typical premade fertilizer or do lean dosing, then you can adjust the dose according to the plantmass.

Do you know how much of each nutrient you are currently using? If we get a picture of the tank as well some of the experts might be able to help you adjust it

Hi,

Thanks for you reply,

I’m currently dosing evolution aqua complete fertiliser daily 1ml a day in 9 gallon tank and obviously doing 50% water change every week.

Here is a picture of a tank:

438542A7-D462-4DDA-97EC-B27D9C954FA2.jpeg

It just makes me wonder because Hydrocotyle Tripartita grows really well and start to take over more space now.

I’m currently dosing evolution aqua complete fertiliser daily 1ml a day in 9 gallon tank
Does the bottle say anything about what it contains percentage wise of nutrients?
It if doesnt then im afraid this is another one of the fertilizers where we wont be able to advise super accurately on the dosage amount, because we dont know the actual contents of it.

It just makes me wonder because Hydrocotyle Tripartita grows really well and start to take over more space now.
Based on your tank picture (thank you for including it😊) I would say your tank has somewhat low plant mass. Your tank is quite tall and a lot of the volume of the tank is not occupied by plants.
Youre injecting CO2 though so your plants will be growing faster than they would in a non CO2 tank, so will inherently need more food than a non CO2 tank.

From their website (mostly to save the other people reading this thread from looking it up)
Low - aquariums with low lighting and no CO2 or liquid carbon
Med - aquariums with low-moderate lighting and liquid carbon
High - aquariums with moderate-high lighting and CO2 gas injection.

Dosage Guidelines​

Low - 1ml per day per 50 litres
Med - 2ml per day per 50 litres
High - 5ml per day per 50 litres

*Dosage assumes high plant biomass.

I think based on the total picture your current dosing doesnt sound particularly off to me, others might chime in as well with what they think.
It is CO2 injected but it has low plant mass, so I dont think it should get the high dosing right off the bat.
You could try 2ml per day if you want to, theres no harm in experimenting a bit and getting a feel for what your tank needs.

Are you observing any problems with the plants? If so, are the problems located in the oldest parts of the plant or the newest parts?
In a tank which is this tall, I would pay extra close attention to CO2 distribution, especially along the bottom of the tank, as the gas may have a hard time getting distributed evenly all the way.

There's such a general wisdom not to change what works well.
I think conservatism had been invented in England, hadn't it?

Are you observing any problems with the plants? If so, are the problems located in the oldest parts of the plant or the newest parts?
In a tank which is this tall, I would pay extra close attention to CO2 distribution, especially along the bottom of the tank, as the gas may have a hard time getting distributed evenly all the way.

Pretty much tank is getting good co2 distribution as I can notice co2 bubbles reaching bottom of the soil.

Crypts are melting a bit but I don’t think it might be fertiliser related.

Hard to say really…

What I’ll do I’ll keep dosing 1ml a day (as that might be in this case so called lean dosing isn’t it?) and will observe if any plants have some sights of nutrients deficiency and if so I’ll increase.

Sorry @Piotr Listwan I should have been a little clearer.
Judging by the amount of black beard algae that is surrounds the crypt and coupled with you saying they are melting my suspicion would be this is a co2 related issue.

If you're confident co2 is being distributed all around the tank then maybe check its not fluctuating and remains stable.

Judging by the amount of black beard algae that is surrounds the crypt and coupled with you saying they are melting my suspicion would be this is a co2 related issue.

It might be,

Since I've changed filfter outflow for a lilly pipe flow has decreased a little bit but I had this before that.

I've got this BBA litle bit out of control to be honest.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Back