• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Improving Cherry shrimp stock.

Hi @Jaceree I do not know for a fact. But I suppose you could. Say, if you separate the out the onces of each generation that shows lower grade from the ones that shows higher grade... I think thats pretty much what the breeders are doing. I have all sorts of grades and colors of Neocaridina davidi's mixed up (Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Gold, Green)... I don't really bother about the grades - they are all high grade to me :)

Cheers,
Michael

Like @MichaelJ said, it's pretty much what breeders do. The more mass that is breeding the quicker you can "up grade" your fish by mating the one with the desired feature. Can take years to achieve what you are looking for.

Mine breed like mad but I only get about 1-2% of the black and red ones. The rest are boring brown ones. I could either separate or cull but I don’t have a spare tank and I’m not into mass murder! :p

Thats what i have in mind. Not to cull, but to focus on the more desirable ones. I like the idea of kind of starting from scratch with the low grade, and seeing what comes out of it. So am i understanding it right that the gene that turns them red to begin with is always present, but it gets a buff on the rare occasion, and gets highlighted more in certain individuals? Kinda like people who have good genetics, and end up with a six pack? lol.

I think you would be better off buying the colour you want and removing any you don’t like the colour of to another tank.
Right so buy the best stock i can afford straight away? I will be setting up a second colony tank as a shrimp is a keeper no matter what grade it is.

Mine breed like mad but I only get about 1-2% of the black and red ones. The rest are boring brown ones. I could either separate or cull but I don’t have a spare tank and I’m not into mass murder! :p

Culling in shrimp breeding doesn't mean actually killing the unwanted shrimp, but typically removing them from the breeding tank and selling them off cheap to folks who just want some general 'shrimp' in their tank. On sites like Shrimp Market Place on Band, you regularly see breeders selling off 'culls' from their main breeding tanks - it's actually a good way to pick up a bargain or two, as the cull shrimp are perfectly capable of producing fully coloured throwback offspring, just with less likelihood.

Culling in shrimp breeding doesn't mean actually killing the unwanted shrimp, but typically removing them from the breeding tank and selling them off cheap to folks who just want some general 'shrimp' in their tank. On sites like Shrimp Market Place on Band, you regularly see breeders selling off 'culls' from their main breeding tanks - it's actually a good way to pick up a bargain or two, as the cull shrimp are perfectly capable of producing fully coloured throwback offspring, just with less likelihood.

I picked up the term culling from watching a breeder on YT that went on to explain it don't actually mean killing the shrimp. I couldn't do that anyway, and wouldn't imagine anyone else doing that either. My farther in law has some amanos in one of his tanks so already have the idea of unloading any shrimp i may not want with him.

4A480218-DBDE-41FD-A2F1-49693316A65B.jpeg
A couple of interesting ones out to eat today. A black one with a pink stripe and a dark pink one with a stripe.

The shrimp i had for free is laying on its side so dont know what to do.
6cbf2708-487d-457d-b07f-9c7f5ed6a4a5.jpg

I think it depends on what’s hidden in the genetics, low grade neos might just be culls from a very high grade lines and potentially can produce some high grade offspring.

I’ve got a tank where I put all my culls from multiple coloured tanks and it’s been a while but every now and then I see a really lovely looking shrimp. Deepest solid red and brightest intense yellows etc where 99% are low grade or even wilds.

I then catch and select the better coloured shrimp and use them in my breeding projects. Of course there is then potential to pass on low grade genes back to the original colony but in these instances I remove them back to cull tank.
I hate killing any healthy animal so my culls retire to a huge 300l plus tank to breed like rabbits! Lol

Infact every non shrimp specific tank in my fish room has neos in now, even the tanks filled with Pufferfish and non filtered planted bowls. They breed like crazy and so hardy.

I think it depends on what’s hidden in the genetics, low grade neos might just be culls from a very high grade lines and potentially can produce some high grade offspring.

I’ve got a tank where I put all my culls from multiple coloured tanks and it’s been a while but every now and then I see a really lovely looking shrimp. Deepest solid red and brightest intense yellows etc where 99% are low grade or even wilds.

I then catch and select the better coloured shrimp and use them in my breeding projects. Of course there is then potential to pass on low grade genes back to the original colony but in these instances I remove them back to cull tank.
I hate killing any healthy animal so my culls retire to a huge 300l plus tank to breed like rabbits! Lol

Infact every non shrimp specific tank in my fish room has neos in now, even the tanks filled with Pufferfish and non filtered planted bowls. They breed like crazy and so hardy.
Ive been looking into the different varieties. That's pretty much what i want to do, but dont plan on having dozens of small tanks everywhere. I was thinking two decent sized tank which ive made myself then a larger cull tank. I found this chart interesting, and found a good vid on YT explaining the different types.

o_family_tree.jpg.dc6f13560380fdb980ca3f398ca3b08a.jpg

I have two tanks for shrimp, well a couple of tubs now.

You can start off with whatever you have, and keep pinching out any (after 6 months or so) which don't meet your chosen colour goal. It's not impossible to start with low grade cherries, and get to Bloody Mary.

I know, this may seem cruel, or like mass murder, but my Goldfish need fed. I don't see feeding shrimp as any different to feeding snails and worms. At one point - one which I've certainly posted about here, I had well over 1000 red neocaridina, it's hard not to see them as food/income then. That said, I've recently decided to give shrimp away when I get a chance, as I'm resetting the tanks/plans.

Back