• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ichthyobodo? second opinion please....

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I've got a couple of my lamp eyes looking off. Swimming slow and top fins down. One is much whiter then usual with a patch you will see on the photos. The second is in one of the photos with a slight white patch and a ragged tail.

I'm very inexperinced in fish health and i've been lucky so far only having one out break of white spot ever. From my reading this could be Ichthyobodo necator....

Second opinion please before I treat. (best chemical suggestions also appreciated). I was just going to up the temp.

IMG_6592.jpg

Both fish are in this photo.

IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

Thanks in advance,
John

Could be a number of things - bit difficult to tell from the photo. Is the white patch fluffy like cotton wool - could be fungus, if off white patch could be columnaris bacteria infection. Ragged fins could be Fin rot, another bacterial infection. Ragged fins can also be a sign of ammonia levels if seen in conjunction with heavy breathing and lethargy.

Are there any other symptoms, like flashing and rubbing? If your ammonia levels are high this could cause increased succeptable to parasites so you could have a combination with the above as well. Treatment wise I've always used Pimafix and melafix with reasonable success for fungal and bacterial problems. They are invert safe. I have used other chemicals but they're better used in a hospital tank which is usually cheaper as well. If ammonia is up water changes are the order of the day.

Back