• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I must be doing something right, tho...

Cintain

So, as posted here, I'm having some problems with my new setup, however, someone is really happy with it, as seen below...

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IIRC, it is normal for a male Anabantoid who is healthy and happy to start building a nest, hopeful for a female. I have kept these before, and I've observed the behaviour. I also have a female, and had noticed with some trepidation that she was getting plumper. My wife and I had also observed him chasing her around the tank. What I had never observed was them copulating, as happened this morning (of course, I didn't have my camera just then)...

I subsequently observed what I assume eggs being released in the water column, and the male catching them in his mouth, but I am unsure if he ate them or subsequently spat them back out into the nest. I really don't know. The eggs were tiny, so it's impossible to tell if they are in the nest.

What do I do? A water change will destroy the nest. I am also worried that if there are eggs in there, and they hatch, I don't have any other tank to move the fry to, nor have I any experience feeding them.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

~C

That's what they do, catch the eggs and place them in the nest. You just let nature take its course. If they fry hatch let them hang for a few days. When they turn to horizontal my suggestion is float a Tupperware in the tank, add an alder cone or some Indian almond, put those you can in there. Grow them slowly. They have an egg sac to begin with, as I recall. Add green water if you can–I never learnt the trick–or very very finely ground fish food. At some point ... either put them in the new small tank you buy, or return them to the tank to be eaten, or possibly survive, especially if you add more floating plants and moss, perhaps some floating guppy grass is easiest. Others may now better. I've bred a few sparkling gourami as a newbie, it isn't that hard. In terms of a WC, usually a very slow change using an airline and a jug works OPK, the nests can usually rise and fall with the water level. In terms of the Tupperware I always add some floating plants and moss so there may be more mini-critters for them to feed on.

Back