• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I have some equipment, need some more. Gonna do it properly this time!

LukeDaly

Ok guys/girls!

So this time last year I bought the scapers tank, a fluval 305 cannister filter, and scapers light.

I got the tank set up and tbh ran out of money to do anything special. I have since saved up a decent amount of cash and I'm going to start from scratch.

I recently bought some lily pipes, and need some recommendations on what tubing to use with these?

I would also like recommendations for a few other things such as substrate? I Love natural looking substrate such as sand but my lfs sand doesn't look great.

What about a co2 regulator for a f/e? I would also like decent co2 tubing, bubble counter, and diffusor.

I am going to start dosing ei dry ferts also any recommended brands? Anything else I should be dosing?

I am going to start from scratch and create a workload this time around, I believe it is also best to start with as many plants as possible feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I know plants are an each to there own kinda thing but recommendations for some jungle style plants would also be great! I Love the look of sp Japan etc and wouldn't mind trying a carpeting plant out this time!

I am not completely new and did have a very nice fluval spec at one point using liquid co2 and ferts but I think it's time to step it up a notch and get back into the hobby!

All help is very much appreciated, and I don't mind buying second hand equipment local to Belfast /Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland!

Thanks guys,
Luke.

Lilly pipes are useless if you want to grow any sort of carpet plant, but any tubing is fine, just use the clear PVC type from ebay and it will do the job just as good as any other.

Substrate, if you're in the UK, there's stuff called 'H.E.L.P Advanced Soil' - looks like ADA Amazonia, half as expensive.

FE is your best option for CO2 (probably ebay if you don't have anywhere local), check out www.CO2art.co.uk and buy the reg/solenoid combo for £40.

For ferts, best option is: http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits.html

Lilly pipes are useless if you want to grow any sort of carpet plant, but any tubing is fine, just use the clear PVC type from ebay and it will do the job just as good as any other.

Substrate, if you're in the UK, there's stuff called 'H.E.L.P Advanced Soil' - looks like ADA Amazonia, half as expensive.

FE is your best option for CO2 (probably ebay if you don't have anywhere local), check out www.CO2art.co.uk and buy the reg/solenoid combo for £40.

For ferts, best option is: http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits.html

Awesome where can I get my hands on that H.E.L.P Soil? will I need to leave the tank filtering for ages before adding any livestock?

I have a fire extinguisher man I just need the reg :) ill defo have a look at them now.

Thanks for the help man!

Why are lily pipes useless for growing carpet plants?

This!?

Why are lily pipes useless for growing carpet plants?

In my experience, lilly pipes can't get the CO2 down to substrate - across the whole length of the tank anyway. You just end up with really leggy plants that want to grow upwards.

A spray bar that runs the length of the back wall of the tank, pointing directly forwards, will yield superior results with carpet plants.

What about this regulator for a fire extinguisher guys:
http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...regulator-dual-gauged-solenoid-magnetic-valve

Would I be able to put this on a timer with my lights? I want one I can put on a timer for them forgetful early mornings before work lol.

Another quick question which may seem rather silly but would I need to dose liquid co2 as well as the f/e system and ei salts?

Regards,
Luke.

When I get my 240L I'll be using glut rather than an FE for the Carbon for the plants. My plan is a spray bar across the back (two actually, as there will be two Fluval 306s). How good is liquid carbon for carpet plants? Is it just reliant on the good circular flow?

Carbon is Carbon, although I think the plants digest it differently when it's in liquid form. I've never tried it my self, but I think people have had success growing carpet plants using just liquid carbon.

What about this regulator for a fire extinguisher guys:
http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...regulator-dual-gauged-solenoid-magnetic-valve

Would I be able to put this on a timer with my lights? I want one I can put on a timer for them forgetful early mornings before work lol.

Another quick question which may seem rather silly but would I need to dose liquid co2 as well as the f/e system and ei salts?

That Regulator is fine, that's the one I was talking about. You can put it on a timer, it just has a regular UK plug socket on the end. You can either get a digital timer which are more expensive (they have an LCD display that give you more programming options) or you can get an analogue one, they're cheaper but the down side is that they don't have as many programming options and they make a very annoying ticking sound. I have an analogue one in my bedroom and it makes me angrier than apartheid.

Dosing liquid carbon alongside the gas form increases the availability of Carbon to the plant. As mentioned, I think I've read that plants uptake carbon in different ways depending on the source (liquid or gas) but I don't know enough about the subject to give you a clear explanation as to what difference this makes to the plant. I imagine it has something to do with flow as it's easier to move a liquid around a tank than a gas.

Carbon is Carbon, although I think the plants digest it differently when it's in liquid form. I've never tried it my self, but I think people have had success growing carpet plants using just liquid carbon.

That Regulator is fine, that's the one I was talking about. You can put it on a timer, it just has a regular UK plug socket on the end. You can either get a digital timer which are more expensive (they have an LCD display that give you more programming options) or you can get an analogue one, they're cheaper but the down side is that they don't have as many programming options and they make a very annoying ticking sound. I have an analogue one in my bedroom and it makes me angrier than apartheid.

Dosing liquid carbon alongside the gas form increases the availability of Carbon to the plant. As mentioned, I think I've read that plants uptake carbon in different ways depending on the source (liquid or gas) but I don't know enough about the subject to give you a clear explanation as to what difference this makes to the plant. I imagine it has something to do with flow as it's easier to move a liquid around a tank than a gas.
Sweet I'll buy that regulator today, what type of diffuser would you recommend? I see there are 'pollen' and nano diffuser's etc obviously the nano is just a smaller version but whats the best option for my scapers tank?

Thanks dude.

In-line atomizers are the best type, they keep equipment out of your tank and diffusion method is better. You can find them on Co2art.co.uk also. I guarantee you will snap at least 1 glass diffuser in your life time, so save some money and get an inline one.

I've PM'd you, check your messages.

In my experience, lilly pipes can't get the CO2 down to substrate - across the whole length of the tank anyway. You just end up with really leggy plants that want to grow upwards.

A spray bar that runs the length of the back wall of the tank, pointing directly forwards, will yield superior results with carpet plants.
Plenty of scapes on the forum using Lilly pipes with nice carpets, IMO not all glassware is made the same, cal Aqua outlets give some of the best distribution IMHO.

Plenty of scapes on the forum using Lilly pipes with nice carpets, IMO not all glassware is made the same, cal Aqua outlets give some of the best distribution IMHO.

Agreed, but there are also people that only use glassware for the sole purpose of taking pictures. Or they have powerheads to assist the lilly pipes.

Back