• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrocotyle tripartita

kellyboy47

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice from any knowledgable folks out there the best way of planting Hydrocotyle Tripartita

Thanks
Trev

I'd just cut it up into sections a few inches long and bury the runners in the substrate

Thanks Tom,

I read somewhere that you had to cut them under a leaf node so that you had a 'T' shaped end that you put into the substrate :( ...so you recommend just the leaf and around 2 inches of stem then ?

Thanks Tom,

I read somewhere that you had to cut them under a leaf node so that you had a 'T' shaped end that you put into the substrate :( ...so you recommend just the leaf and around 2 inches of stem then ?

Er, no. Don't cut the leaf off the rhizome. I meant just cut the rhizome into lengths with a few leaves on each length then bury the rhizome.

If you're uncertain of how to in-plant a cutted part of a stem-plant...........you can ALLWAYS take the length you want (beginning from the growing end) and cut. Then remove one or two lowest leaves. You now have a cutting with one or two nodes (growing points) left, where you removed tbe leave(s). The cutting is planted so these nodes are under the gravel/soil, and the rest is free in the water. The nodes are allways more willing to produce new roots, then the internode (the piece inbetween nodes = stem).
A lot of stem-plants happily produce roots directly from the stem, but not all........ to be sure give the cutting one or two nodes to produce roots from.
- and yes, it's the very same nodes, that can produce new shoots too, when you cut tbe top off the stem ;)
Mick.

............... Hyd. trip. is a weed, by the way, and will root and grow allmost whatever you do to it.............
Mick.

Hi All,

I'm interested to know how to trim hard back, Hydrocotyle tripartita?

Do I just take the scissors as close to the substrate and cut?

Regards,
Billy

as
Hi All,

I'm interested to know how to trim hard back, Hydrocotyle tripartita?

Do I just take the scissors as close to the substrate and cut?

Regards,
Billy

Trim as hard as you like where you like, the stuff will continue to grow however you chop it. It's hard as nails.

Its basicly bindweed if left unchecked but looks a lot nicer. Do your worst it will not give in :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agh good to know, i binned a load of this the other night due to algae manky'ness and i've another area of it to deal with. Was just going to uproot and chuck like the last lot (wasn't growing as i'd expected it to anyway) but reading this think i'll just cut all the rubbish bits away and replant any that's still looking clean. Guess you can chop mid stem (therefore disacrding the original root system) and will just shoot new roots?

It is a pretty plant so be nice to keep a bit of it going ;)

Thanks Ian,
Much appreciated.
Regards
Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Another way to "trim" Hyd. trip. is to gently "pad and press" on top of it with an open palm hand. This way, you make the plant a lot more compact and dense. Ofcourse you can only do this a limited number of times, until it becomes TOO dense, suffocating itself from beneath. Then you must trim back by siccors. This should preferably be done while there's still some lower leaves alive, to get new growth started fast and healthy.
Mick.

Back