• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydor external heater 16mm with fluval 305 filter

smarty

Seedling
I was wondering if anyone knew whether a Hydor 300W external filter is compatible with a fluval 305 external filter? The reason I ask is that the fluval filter hose size is 17mm and the Hydor heater is 16mm, is 1mm difference going to make a difference? if so what is the solution?

Also, my tank is 160l so could i get away with the 200W version?

easerthegeezer said:
200w should be fine but might as well get a 300w ready for the inevitable upgrade ;)
You will need to change the ribbed fluval tubing for traditional 16/22 hose.

I think you will find the 200w Hydor is only suitable for 12/16mm tubing not the 16/22 . Changing the Fluval tubing to 16/22 should not be an issue though. Since that ribbed fluval stuff is horrid.

easerthegeezer said:
Antipofish said:
I think you will find the 200w Hydor is only suitable for 12/16mm tubing not the 16/22 .

Learn something new everyday ;)

Thats why I love UKAPS :thumbup: I was going to get the 200w one as it would be plenty for my 175L but it was not suitable for my hoses.

Antipofish said:
easerthegeezer said:
200w should be fine but might as well get a 300w ready for the inevitable upgrade ;)

I think you will find the 200w Hydor is only suitable for 12/16mm tubing not the 16/22 . Changing the Fluval tubing to 16/22 should not be an issue though. Since that ribbed fluval stuff is horrid.

Ive seen the 200w 16/22 hydors on eBay recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alastair said:
Antipofish said:
easerthegeezer said:

Ive seen the 200w 16/22 hydors on eBay recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really ? I stand corrected in that case :) I guess it must be a new thing though. Cos they weren't around when I bought mine new, a couple of months ago. Or at least not at the price I paid lol.

Go for the 300watt Hydor and change the hose to 16/22mm. I currently have one running on a 205 along with an Up atomiser.
The standard fluval hose was a good fit to the Hydor but certainly wasn't as tight as normal filter hose. Also no problems attaching the 16/22mm to the filter.

I got the 300W in the end with some Eheim tubing. Very good heater, I would recommend to anyone plus there was only £4 difference between the 200W and 300W.

Back