• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Humour me, are these amano shrimp?

castle

These were kinda challenging to photo in the bag, but I tried a different eBay seller who were selling 10 amano shrimp for 25£.

Here’s what I got:
IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

The seller has told me sorry for the two doa shrimp (never happened before in an overnight ship) and that the blue/gree and red shrimp I have got are wild amanos and I’ve just never seen them before.

They also state that I should in fact learn to enjoy my new colourful shrimp.

It has gave me a laugh anyway. Some are amanos to be fair, most are not.

Have you got any better pictures?

Some almost look like tiger shrimp, which could be a possibility if they’re wild caught.

Hard to tell from the top image, the bottom most shrimp in that image could be an Amano, but the ones in the bottom image certainly aren't - look more like a breeders cherry shrimp cull! . . . Time to claim a refund!

and that the blue/gree and red shrimp I have got are wild amanos and I’ve just never seen them before.
Guy is ignorant on the subject. All amano shrimps are pretty much wild. To my knowledge there is no small, medium or large commercial amano breeders due to the complexity (and cost) of breeding them. If there is any I will gladly be corrected. Only breeders in existence are hobbyists. That is why amanos are often out of stock in LFS as they need to be imported.

Amanos can get a blue or red hue but that is with time and depending on certain factors. After shipping, amanos will invariably be stressed and look pale, not blue or red like that. Change LFS and never return there and ask for a refund in the process.

Last edited:
Pictures are going to be hard in a bag; but I’ve put them in a 20l tank so I’ll get a photo up soon. It’s not the shrimps fault after all!

Post was meant to be in humour, as I am overly confident that some of these are not amano. Definitely look like a mix of low grade shrimp and a few amanos to me.

The couple at the top of the first photo look like amanos, as for the others I can’t tell but bright blue amanos aren’t a thing.

As the others have said seems like he’s trying to offload low grade cherries on you or something similar.

People are so short sighted; I want to buy 100+ high grade cherries; at least another 30 amanos. He apparently sells them. I won’t be buying from there.

Also, sent without a heat pack.

I went and purchased amano shrimp from my local Maidenhead today. First time purchasing amanos in a few years. They were £7 each which is a lot considering they were half that in 2020.

I think there maybe a certain ignorance when it comes to Amano shrimp. I closed down a tank prior to a house move, and gave away all my shrimp to a Maidenhead Aquatics. The assistant that took them off me was overjoyed, I could literally see £ signs in his eyes. He thought they were all juvenile Amano shrimp. I on the other hand thought they were just low grade cherry shrimp.

So convinced was he, that I started to believe he may actually be right. Either way I didn't have the heart to question him. But reading this has made me think that perhaps more than few subsequent customers might have been inadvertently scammed.

I got into a very time consuming email exchange over this. Similarly I received low grade neocaridina instead of Amanos. Have you yet had the stock email about it just being a 'stress' response and how 'soon you'll be enjoying the beauty of your shrimp', I got two of those patronising identical messages. It's a scam, I managed to half my money back...

Attachments

• IMG_20230720_093908_1.jpg
    IMG_20230720_093908_1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230720_103924.jpg
    IMG_20230720_103924.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
I'm curious about the seller you got them from - would you be comfortable naming the seller, either on here or by PM? I ask because I bought some 'amano shrimp' off ebay which came in very similar packaging. Last night I rescued them from my betta's tank to put them in with my other amano and neocaridina shrimp, and noticed they were not only much smaller than the amano shrimp from my LFS, but rather more pigmented. One in particular is quite blue. The neocaridina I got from this seller are lovely, but I'm feeling quite suspicious about the 'amano' now!

Attachments

• photo_5809889363692207786_y.jpg
    photo_5809889363692207786_y.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 94
I got into a very time consuming email exchange over this. Similarly I received low grade neocaridina instead of Amanos. Have you yet had the stock email about it just being a 'stress' response and how 'soon you'll be enjoying the beauty of your shrimp', I got two of those patronising identical messages. It's a scam, I managed to half my money back...
Not amanos for sure.

I'm curious about the seller you got them from - would you be comfortable naming the seller, either on here or by PM? I ask because I bought some 'amano shrimp' off ebay which came in very similar packaging. Last night I rescued them from my betta's tank to put them in with my other amano and neocaridina shrimp, and noticed they were not only much smaller than the amano shrimp from my LFS, but rather more pigmented. One in particular is quite blue. The neocaridina I got from this seller are lovely, but I'm feeling quite suspicious about the 'amano' now!
Difficult to say from that picture.

I think there maybe a certain ignorance when it comes to Amano shrimp. I closed down a tank prior to a house move, and gave away all my shrimp to a Maidenhead Aquatics. The assistant that took them off me was overjoyed, I could literally see £ signs in his eyes. He thought they were all juvenile Amano shrimp. I on the other hand thought they were just low grade cherry shrimp.

So convinced was he, that I started to believe he may actually be right. Either way I didn't have the heart to question him. But reading this has made me think that perhaps more than few subsequent customers might have been inadvertently scammed.
It is actually quite easy to differentiate amanos from other shrimps. Their spots and dashes are unique to them.
Maybe because I live in a country where they have one of the biggest wholesale and retail markets of ornamental fish in the region and perhaps in the world, and I go there quite often, I think it would be very difficult to fool me when it comes to amanos.

Difficult to say from that picture.
I went back through my phone and found some photos from when they first arrived. Top picture was sold as amano, bottom picture is the neocaridinas which arrived at the same time. Frustratingly I didn't get a picture of the oddly blue amano when newly arrived, but I expect I'll find some pics of them in the tank if I go digging.
1695908224449.jpeg

1695908321491.jpeg

Max-fish-shrimp

Avoid 👍

Thank you! Not the same seller, then, which is comforting. :)

Back