• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How would you fertilise these tanks?

Frenchi

Hi ppl
Once again I'm picking your knowledge I'm all setup now with 4 tanks 3 of which are planted with full co2 injection. My fertiliser is just about to run out, about a week left, its EI dosing chemicals/salts..
Again I'm not even sure of some of the plants in my tanks I just buy them put them in and hope for the best. I may one day be able to remember plant names :)

Anyway do the plants I have benefit from Ei dosing or would you recommend something else?
I mix it up in 2 litre bottles at the moment and dose accordingly on a daily basis, I don't mind dosing EI at all just didn't want to be dosing it if I really don't need to, if there is another fertiliser that is just as good I would give that ago..

Tank 1 250 litre mainly plants on wood including African Fern, anubius nana, Java ferns crypts etc...
b64ec3d84fd3e77da0d0fc0bd5f0475d.jpg

Tank 2 85 litre again mainly plants on wood crypts and the very tiny leaf carpeting plant
fb87b80be1943625e97340abe782aa11.jpg

Tank 3 20 litre cube with some stem plants, echinodorus tenelius, plus Java Fern and moss
074f52073c0da444ea991a8de00493fb.jpg

You maybe can tell what's in them and then the best way to go regarding ferts

Cheers

Mick

EI fertilization is not a Brand of fertilizer but more like a method of fertilization, this means that you can dose EI method with any Brand of fertilizer. All aquatic plants benefit from it. Also the more ferts you have in the wáter the faster your plants will grow but not in a linear progression. So EI is most probbly more than enough, but 2xEI or 3xEI is even better for the plants although the added beneffit is not worth it for most and also because of the critters.

Cheers!

If you're using CO2 and have a reasonable amount of light, then ferts in some form are required. To me, I don't think there is a cheaper way to do it than buying EI in powder form. If it works, why change?

Jose, given EI is supposed to ensure plants don't run out as standard, I'm not sure what possible benefit there might be from overdosing it?

Plants grow better at 50 ppm of CO2 compared to 20 ppm right? Its the same with nitrates, phosphates etc. They grow better with more but not in a linear progression, meaning they wont grow twice as fast at 60 ppm nitrates compared to 30 if everything else is not limitting.

CO2 comsumption is dependant on light not nutrient levels so much if you are not limitting. I dont think upping your nutrient levels beyond EI will up the CO2 demand considerably because light is what is really determining the growth speed.

Putting more ferts in might make your plants grow faster but its going to be a very tiny ammount if you were not limitting nutrients to begin with.

Its getting that fine balance between them all I have found .. But it does take some finding... I was wanting really to just dose a complete fertiliser daily or every other day .. I wasn't aware macro and micro could be mixed together

Back