• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

How would I cycle this small aquarium?

laurenb252

I’m currently setting up a small aquarium for the desk in my uni room, using a 18cm tall by 14cm wide IKEA vase. I reckon it holds about 2L of water. The plan is to just plant it with some stem plants like Limnophila Sessiliflora, Bacopa Compact and epiphytes.

I’d like to put a few small ramshorn snails in here once it’s set up, but obviously I’d need to make sure the water chemistry is suitable.

How would I go about cycling an aquarium this small? Can I just use a drop of liquid ammonia, or shall I forget this altogether, plant as densely as I can and just add the snails in? I’ve attached a photo of the vase with just the hardscape inside, just so you can get a better idea of its size.

All advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• EA187E5E-946C-4C32-868B-3466296EF048.jpeg
    EA187E5E-946C-4C32-868B-3466296EF048.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 256
Nice! This is going to be lovely. Yep, I’d just plant up heavily then you’re good to go (I’ve done this then left it 4-6 weeks before adding cherry shrimp - I’m not a snail keeper). Floating plants are also a good option - shout if you want any.

I’m currently setting up a small aquarium for the desk in my uni room, using a 18cm tall by 14cm wide IKEA vase. I reckon it holds about 2L of water. The plan is to just plant it with some stem plants like Limnophila Sessiliflora, Bacopa Compact and epiphytes.

I’d like to put a few small ramshorn snails in here once it’s set up, but obviously I’d need to make sure the water chemistry is suitable.

How would I go about cycling an aquarium this small? Can I just use a drop of liquid ammonia, or shall I forget this altogether, plant as densely as I can and just add the snails in? I’ve attached a photo of the vase with just the hardscape inside, just so you can get a better idea of its size.

All advice is appreciated!
Hi @laurenb252 Do you have another tank setup by any chance (or know someone with an established planted tank)? If so, you could just grab a fistful of gravel and add some of the water from there, plant it up and you would be good to go virtually right away.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @laurenb252 Do you have another tank setup by any chance (or know someone with an established planted tank)? If so, you could just grab a fistful of gravel and add some of the water from there, plant it up and you would be good to go virtually right away.

Cheers,
Michael
Hi Michael, yes I do have other tanks at home, that’s a great idea! I was wondering though, if I put some of the substrate in a bag and keep it damp, will the beneficial bacteria survive? I’ve got to bring some materials with me when I go back to uni on Monday so that means transporting everything.

I was wondering though, if I put some of the substrate in a bag and keep it damp, will the beneficial bacteria survive?
Hi @laurenb252 That all depends on how long you plan to keep them in that bag... A day or two in a wet bag kept at a decent temperature? definitely shouldn't be a problem... Nitrifying bacteria wont go dormant and can survive a pretty wide temperature span, but should be kept at least 10 C. They can go without food (Ammonia) for quite a while... Just make sure the bag dont dry up!

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @laurenb252 That all depends on how long you plan to keep them in that bag... A day or two in a wet bag kept at a decent temperature? definitely shouldn't be a problem... Nitrifying bacteria wont go dormant and can survive a pretty wide temperature span, but should be kept at least 10 C. They can go without food (Ammonia) for quite a while... Just make sure the bag dont dry up!

Cheers,
Michael
Hi @MichaelJ,

The substrate will only be in the bag for a couple of hours so that should be fine! I’ll spray the inside of the plastic bag before I tie it up to help it stay damp. As for the temperature, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem, I’ll try to keep the bag insulated as much as possible.

Thanks!

Rinsed soil capped with gravel stuffed full of fast stem plants. Should only take a month to cycle with no additional ammonia. The soil will leach nutrients at first. You can remove with 50% water changes daily for the first week then every other day moving once a week after 3-4 weeks.
I added snails to mine after 2 weeks.

No filter or heater. Desk lamp lighting. 12l

Attachments

• 54344274-5CB7-4297-9683-A4832C19351E.jpeg
    54344274-5CB7-4297-9683-A4832C19351E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 157
Back