• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to treat bacterial blooms?

Jaap

Hi

how do I deal with cloudy water that comes from bacterial blooms? Not a new tank, I just unplanted a few plants and caused dirt from the substrate to rise into water column. Tank in nearly a year old.

Thanks

If it is indeed bacterial bloom, just patience .
If clouding is due to unknown ,,then carbon/purigen for a few day's.

I've used API Accu-clear (and other manufactures equivalents) to clear the water after a major replant left water cloudy. Works fine, next morning water crystal clear. Done.

If it is a bloom my approach would be to ride it out. It should burn itself out in time. Water changes arguably fuel it so keep an eye on your parameters and hold off if you can. Lights out may help as well, but for how long? May prove to be an issue for your plants. Patience usually wins here However if it is just kick up, as previously mentioned a bit of filter floss will work wonders. No harm in trying the floss if only to eliminate that possibility.

Sustainable Aquaria

Back