• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to promote the hobby?

Jaap

Hello,

how would someone promote the hobby of aquascaping? I am not a pet shop owner nor an expert aquascaper but I do want to see more people embracenthis fantastic hobby here in Cyprus. Any ideas?

P.S: People in the UK are very lucky to have so many resources at your disposal. I am very lucky as well to have found this fantastic forum which is much more compatible with the Cypriot/EU market rather than American forums.

Thanks

You might look to Malta, they have a pretty active forum also. You have a fair amount of natural materials on the island you can use. Sourcing things is not easy in other countries, so the more people you have locally, the better and the stronger your hobby/club will become.

Fertilizers, tanks, CO2 equipment and supplies........plants.........once you source these and have ample supply, then the hobby can move forward better. Local plant clubs also are very very beneficial. I'd say a local web forum will be your best source to form a good local group and communicate. If you can set up forms, web design, have a server.....that would be among the best 1st steps to do.

I or UKAPS could offer a host till that is done and on line.
This will help and until your group is big enough or you find enough people to do it on your own.

I offered this for the UKAPS group till they started their own forum.

Thanks for the reply plantbrain. I guess I could host a forum and a website with my own expenses until it gets going but I am afraid it would be too difficult to get people into this. Not many people on the island are interested in this hobby so I guess the forum would be empty.

My best shot I would say is to create a few nano tanks and have them on display in local pet shops. If I was going to found a society does this mean paperwork and expenses as well?

I don't know if politically it is a no no but there are some very active groups both in Greece and Turkey which have very large forums. Maybe you could join one of those and maybe ask if they could have a sub forum for Cyprus?

I have a feeling that the Greek ones have members on them from Cyprus anyway.

Touls

I would setup a forum, then do a couple of nanos and offer the local hotels to set up some tanks, using the nanos a show pieces.

Also talk to restaurants, often they would accept a tank, either as a donation or with a small fee involved.

Schools are also good, they would take a tank in, and the kids would get to learn about the plants and fish.

Back