• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to keep Pearl Weed (Hemianthus micranthemoides)?

Mihai Boldor

I would like to show you my Micranthemum Monte Carlo carpet and it's evolution in the first 3 weeks.
comparegazontreisaptamani_zpsefac5127.jpg

I actually bought it as Cuba but when I got it I realized it is not. I still think it is a cool plant and I want to keep it and make it a nice green carpet. I looked it up and actually I can't find to much info on growing this plant into a carpet so I would apreciate some pointers. I would like to know how often should I trim it and If I should trim it now to prevent it getting taller, the tallest shoots right nou are about 10 cm. I know in general plant love trimming but I never had a carpeting plant so I am kind of learning how to keep it and how to make it look better

Are you sure it's Micranthemum Monte Carlo? I have this plant as a carpet. It took weeks to get going but it definitely grows sideways not up. I have plenty of CO2 and even increased the light intensity a bit.
The side shoots have quite large leaves, then it fills in with slightly smaller leaves. The carpet is no more than 2 cm high.

Leaves look too elongated for "Monte Carlo"........I'd say this is micranthemoides, too !!
Mick.

I think you guys are right so I changed the topic name. Even though it in not Monte Carlo I still would like to hear some pointers from people that have experience with this plant. I am thinking of trimming the shoots that grow vertically and replanting them in order to expand the carpet and maybe even make the carpet more dense.

I think you guys are right so I changed the topic name. Even though it in not Monte Carlo I still would like to hear some pointers from people that have experience with this plant. I am thinking of trimming the shoots that grow vertically and replanting them in order to expand the carpet and maybe even make the carpet more dense.

In my experience this plant grows like wildfire, I wouldn't bother replanting the trimmings as it grows quick enough anyway. It is not really a carpetting plant and can grow up to 20cm tall if you let it. You will need to trim it often and hard to keep grow compact, it is more of a mid-ground plant. I was growing it in my old tank with lots of flow and CO2 and it went nuts and nearly took over. I ended up trimming it hard every 2 weeks or so.

Thanks

Mike

In my experience this plant grows like wildfire, I wouldn't bother replanting the trimmings as it grows quick enough anyway. It is not really a carpetting plant and can grow up to 20cm tall if you let it. You will need to trim it often and hard to keep grow compact, it is more of a mid-ground plant. I was growing it in my old tank with lots of flow and CO2 and it went nuts and nearly took over. I ended up trimming it hard every 2 weeks or so.
For now, I will try to carpet it for a while just to see how it looks, then I will buy Cuba from a reliable source, because that was the initial target. I love the fact that it grows that fast and I love that rich perling when Co2 in higher concentration is present.

o_O
Mick.Dk you should know better...http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/groundland-shallow-aquascape.26464/
Leaves look too elongated for "Monte Carlo"........I'd say this is micranthemoides, too !!
Received some sprigs from Dan Crawford last year....see above link.
Mick.
Although this carpeting plant was never id properly I'm 100% positive its not micranthemoides
Different environments and all that Jazz..will try and take a better picture.
micranthemoides grows like a weed....im most tanks....plus the leaves are very delicate and the stems flop over when removed from the aquarium...this plants is more robust.
This carpeting plant has taken a whole year to get some decent growth....and that's on the surface of the aquarium.
In fact i was gonna bin it, as the growth was so poor.
Just my opinion.
Cheers
hoggie

o_O
Mick.Dk you should know better...http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/groundland-shallow-aquascape.26464/

Although this carpeting plant was never id properly I'm 100% positive its not micranthemoides
Different environments and all that Jazz..will try and take a better picture.
micranthemoides grows like a weed....im most tanks....plus the leaves are very delicate and the stems flop over when removed from the aquarium...this plants is more robust.
This carpeting plant has taken a whole year to get some decent growth....and that's on the surface of the aquarium.
In fact i was gonna bin it, as the growth was so poor.
Just my opinion.
Cheers
hoggie
Well.........I do know better I was refering to the original, first phn

Hi Mick.Dk
I don't want to get into any misunderstanding... you made a quote on #6 which seems to be relating to the previous posted picture which i made.
That's what i took the quote as...so lets leave it at that.
Regards
hoggie

Hi Mick.Dk
I don't want to get into any misunderstanding... you made a quote on #6 which seems to be relating to the previous posted picture which i made.
That's what i took the quote as...so lets leave it at that.
Regards
hoggie

Youve lost me hoggie. Im confused

Hoggie thought mick was referring to hoggie's picture of monte carlo, rather than mihai's picture of micranthemoides, in mick's #6 comment stating that it looked more like micranthemoides.

But yeah i agree i think it looks more like micranthemoides mihai, I dont have any experience with it, but why not use it as a midground rather than carpet? :D

I know, Hoggie - that's why I just clarified........really, no harm done.You are right, and I can easily see, how this arose !:)

My second comment, was deliberately another post - since I don't see where the "received some sprigs from Dan Crawford last year......" part came from, that I was quoted for. I don't like being quoted for more, than I write !;)

That was me Mick:woot:...pasted into your quote by accident:banghead::inpain:
That shouldn't have happened...didn't notice it...till you pointed it out.
Sorry for that...;)
hoggie

Back