• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to get the water clearer!

oliverar

Hi, I know this sound's like a sill question but how can I get my water clearer, I have got a internal canister filter but it is not making my water any clearer, it is not algae, it is just really fine sediment that is too fine for my filter. Any idea's? I have done a few water changes but it is not helping much.

Internals are often a bit limited in the media you can put in them. If you can fit any filter floss in that should solve most of the problem. Otherwise an external into which you can definitely fit floss and/or graded filter sponges will definitely solve the problem
cheers
M

I agree with above :thumbup: Cleaning the floss more frequently in old aquarium water you take out during changes or bucket of dechlorinated water can also help.
On a couple of occasions, I have been guilty of not rinsing new substrate or sand well enough and resulted in water that was cloudy. I found that cleaning the filter material perhaps daily, helped clear the water more quickly.

I added a small internal filter which can also help polish the water once it's been running a while.

AverageWhiteBloke said:
I added a small internal filter which can also help polish the water once it's been running a while.
Did you get that I am using a internal filter?

:oops: no sorry I just saw canister and assumed it was an external canister, you are right though the problem with a lot of internal filters is the sponges often have quite large holes in to extend the time between cleaning so only really starts trapping smaller particles when it clogs a bit.
Maybe you could get a finer sponge possibly from the Juwel range if the existing sponge has large pores and cut it to make it fit your canister.
You can often get a finer sponge than the one supplied with the filter just needs cleaning out more.

Just a thought.

Yes, I think I will try something like this! I have got some idea's! I will try some frequent water changes tomorrow to see if that help's!

Back