• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to get nurii rosen to grow in blackwater

So I located the following blackwater plants and will try them in my next 29 (which is being setup for true a. lineta):
c. willisii
c. undulatus (red)
c. ferruginea sekaduensis (not sure i will like this one)
c. yujii
-
Unfortunately this going to cause a naming problem since my Blutkehl pictures are label lineta in all my files so i'll have to figure that one out; it is just that lineta is so much easier to type than Blutehl 😉
Good luck with the Lineata, had to be one of the best fish I’ve kept. The male was stunning.

I've always struggled with Nurii in soft water tanks, but in harder tap water tanks it grows like a weed!

Crypts I've had no issues growing softer water are Beckettii 'petchii', Spiralis tiger and red and X purpure. Some of them take a long time to get started, but are fine once they're going.

I've always struggled with Nurii in soft water tanks, but in harder tap water tanks it grows like a weed!

Crypts I've had no issues growing softer water are Beckettii 'petchii', Spiralis tiger and red and X purpure. Some of them take a long time to get started, but are fine once they're going.
I have 'petchii' but it was too new to make a statement and yes spiralis tiger red is growing quite well without co2 or strong light. Never heard of X purpure - if that is purpurea it is described as some sort of hybrid.
--
When i receive the 4 i did order i'll take a picture label the aquarium and post it and then in 4 to 8 months repeat to see how they do 😉

Good luck with the Lineata, had to be one of the best fish I’ve kept. The male was stunning.
This closely related species was sold to me as a. lineata (not the ones that will arrive in a few weeks - fingers crossed nothing goes wrong); i really like this fish but it is colourless at least in my environment. It also has a good personality - it doesn't run and hide like my a. wolli but it also doesn't beg and expect me to drop food in its mouth like a. winekelfleck i have:

a_lineta.jpg
--
I have 4 weeks old frys right now i'm raising though it is early to know if they will make it all the way.

For historical reasons you should indicate what type of tap water you have for example I have kh 3 gh 6 and yes it grows well enough to post these but not as well with co2.

but the problem with saying it grows well in tap water is if a person has tap water that is exceptionally soft like those lucky folks in portland oregon it might not grow as well.

For historical reasons you should indicate what type of tap water you have for example I have kh 3 gh 6

Fair point, though I did say "harder tap water". My tap water is around 6dKH / 12dGH.

This is what i planted:

p1.jpg

601 -> c. Ferruginea Sekadauensis (bit clueless about this plant)
78 -> c. Green Gecko
between 78 and 975 behind them is 267
975 -> c. Yujii
267 -> echinodorus reni (you can't really see it in this picture)
180 -> echinodorus big bear (it is a large plant in the very back -. not label)
213 -> is more of 975
164 -> c. undulatus red
983 (i have 923) is c. Willisii
-
between 164 and 923 labels is some old c. affinis i have (it is sold as c. pink jacobi in us)
-
In the back (not visible is Lagenandra Meeboldii (tissue)
-
p2.jpg

291 -> echinodorus hadi red pearl
-
In the back not visible some anubia golden (sold as tissue)
a fancy twist - it is the large sword near the big bear - i think it will stay smaller
--
I put in too much driftwood so not a lot of room for plants as I have two more i want to add
-
If things 'take' off i'll have to move things around later as it is too crowded - i suspect i won't love Ferruginea Sekadauensis.

I would love to get some c. purpurea but no one in the USA has it and sg and de won't ship it to usa.
-
About a week before i get the fishes i'll be throwing in some leaves and when i get the fishes i'll turn the lights down.

I'm tempted to remove one of the three pieces of driftwood so i can have more plants but i guess the fishes will prefer the cave options 🙁

Trade off me or the fishes me or the fishes... sigh.

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Minor update - all the crypts melted into soup; no clue if that is normal for tissue culture and i guess i'll wait up to 6 weeks to see if it regrows; also if you look carefully you can see that e (#267 in the above pictures) on the right front that was covered up by the crypts and i added one new plant - a Nymphaea sp. Peru Puerto Maldonado in the back middle and you can see the leaves. Not sure how it will do; that anubia on the left front has sprouted a new leaf but i tend to take those things as in progress before i received the plant.

u2.jpgu1.jpg

I wonder if you should grow them in a tub/propagator first outside of water then transplant them in. usually in large scale TC businesses they do this anyways before selling the plants on

Last edited:
Oh no! I've grown a few crypts from TC and only one melted and it never recovered. The plantlets looked sketchy going in, so I wasn't surprised when they didn't make it. Hopefully you didn't plant everything in this tank...?

It might be hard to transition TC plants directly into blackwater though. I have soft water, but remineralize to 4-6 dGH - nothing like the water you're going for. How mature is the tank? That could also be a factor.

Well per beginning of this thread it has not fishes. I did put in a nice group of root tabs around all the new plants. The 'e's are doing better and showing some growth. Not sure what advantage a tub would have - the light on the tank is pretty strong and set fairly high for now; unless of course the tub had a different sort of water. The bulk of the tc went into the tank but some of them had extra that went into another.

Ok this morning i took a look with a magnifying class and at leas two of them (c. undulatus red and c. Yujii (I think)) showed either new leaf forming or new roots so most of them aren't 'dead' at least not yet. I'll probably wait about 30 days for another update after all plants move much slower than turtles.

By far the most successful results I personally achieve transitioning TC Crypts is wedging them in the top of a bunch of Buce so the leaves are just breaking the surface in a well mature, lean dosed and 15mg/l CO2 aquarium, I'm not sure it's the right way but it works for me. The only problem I've encountered is having too many once they start growing.

If they don't end up growing back, it might be worth trying another batch in a propagator emersed. It might be worth trying to find some nice leaf mould as it is the right time of year now (getting close at least) and they grow well in it. Then when the small plants are less delicate and have a few adult leaves transplant them under water. TC plants are basically in a juvenile state so are more delicate. Adult crypts are different. I knew someone who had a massive die off and it seemed pretty dire but then they bounce back seemingly from nothing. Adult plants not TC though.

Leaf mould is acidic so it would be similar conditions pH wise. If the plants were in an adult stage they would handle being transplanted just fine. In nature there can be big floods and the plants suddenly need to convert from the terrestrial to aquatic state but they are pretty well equipped to handle that. So I think growing them FIRST out of water is worth considering 100%. I hope that makes sense as I'm fuzzy headed but I've seen it work myself.

Last edited:
Back