• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to disinfect the plants prior to planting them

faizal

Does anybody actually go through the disinfection routine with KMnO4 (Potassium Permanganate)? Or can we sort of just clean up the plants manually & then let them just soak in unchlorinated tap water for a couple of hours then give a good wash with chlorinated water and then plant them straight in?

Hi all,
I don't buy many plants, but I usually take of the pot, all the rock-wool etc, off and give them a rinse under the tap. I then leave them to soak in a large bowl of tepid tap water for a couple of hours. I'm not bothered about them bringing snail eggs etc in, but I am worried about them introducing small amounts of insecticide etc.

If you don't want to use potassium permanganate you could try a wash in carbonated water.

cheers Darrel

I always assumed soaking in untreated tap water for a few hours was enough to get rid of the main nasties?

Hi all,
The idea behind the carbonated water is that it doesn't harm the plant, but will asphyxiate any hitch-hikers. I've never used it, but it should work in principle if the CO2 level remains high enough. I would suspect that both snails (because of their ability to close their operculum) and Planaria, because of their high surface area to volume ratio for diffusion, would be pretty resistant to CO2 enriched water.

I must admit I'm very pleased with a plant hitchhiker (that probably arrived with some moss), because Utricularia gibba has flowered.

utricularia_gibba_2011.jpg

utricularia_gibba_flower.jpg

utricularia_gibba_bladder.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Ummm,...Darrel,...what are those tiny translucent mite like fellas called? Would they harm fishes?
They are the bladders on the "roots" of the Utricularia, people have suggested that they may be able to catch very small fry and shrimplets, but I haven't had any problems.

The bladders are air filled and they work as a trap-door, when an organism triggers the guard hair, the door opens and the water rushes into the void, sweeping in the prey item. Once the bladder is full of water, the door shuts and the plant digests its catch.

cheers Darrel

Back