• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How old are these baby tetras?

Simmo

And in some good news (for a change šŸ˜‚) I was chuffed to see, quite unexpectedly, two young emperor tetras in the tank today! I donā€™t try and breed fish, if it happens it happens but still, in 30 years of fishkeeping Iā€™ve only ever had breeding kribensis! I reckon the plants make the difference!
So my question is about how old are these wee fish? They must be about 1 cm long and are quite recognisable and fish like and are foraging for food. Iā€™m just curious having missed the spawning and seen no sign of them until today
FB40AF88-B821-426D-81BB-F5FD8E2F2609.jpeg

Thanks!

I've never bred them but I know someone who has and in ideal conditions, as in a grow out tank with the best foods, they can get into chunky, near adult sized fish, in 6 months or so. It depends on the temperature and how much food they could snag but I'd guess yours are 6-8 weeks old at least but I'd be surprised if the parents weren't constantly spawning. It's like Darrel says, a few can make it through at a time and survive the ravenous adults.

Edit, I was writing at the same time as Conort2 and my longer estimate is down to the slower rate I've witnessed as happy accidents. They do grow fast though so might be a bit younger.

Probably around the month mark although itā€™ll all depend on availability of food and water quality. They look nice and fat!
I think they prefer ā€˜deep keeledā€™ to fat šŸ˜‚. Thanks for the reply, I guess with Mortā€™s answer 4-8 weeks seems a good range šŸ‘
Cheers

I've never bred them but I know someone who has and in ideal conditions, as in a grow out tank with the best foods, they can get into chunky, near adult sized fish, in 6 months or so. It depends on the temperature and how much food they could snag but I'd guess yours are 6-8 weeks old at least but I'd be surprised if the parents weren't constantly spawning. It's like Darrel says, a few can make it through at a time and survive the ravenous adults.

Edit, I was writing at the same time as Conort2 and my longer estimate is down to the slower rate I've witnessed as happy accidents. They do grow fast though so might be a bit younger.
Thanks Mort, Iā€™ll have to read up on their spawning behaviour, not seen anything too obvious but I might be misinterpreting. I am quite glad not many survive in the sense that the tank can only hold so many after that Iā€™ll need to rehome some. Edit: Or get another tank lol šŸ¤£
Cheers

Hi all,
I was writing at the same time as Conort2 and my longer estimate is down to the slower rate I've witnessed as happy accidents. They do grow fast though so might be a bit younger.
I'd guess about six weeks. They probably spawn just as it is getting light in the morning.

cheers Darrel.

As Darrel mentions it will be early morning spawning with these. You may have more chance seeing some of the deposited eggs (moss might hold a few) but they will be eaten by the parents or other fish quite quickly.

With "deep keeled" happy fish, they will be spawning often.

Thanks guys Iā€™ll keep an eye out after opening the curtains. šŸ‘

Look out for a male going nuts near some plants. Usually quite a bit of chasing and shimmying going on. He will try and drive a female into the plants where they will spawn.

As the others have mentioned theyā€™re probably doing it all the time if the fish are in Good condition.

Thanks yes I think Iā€™m just not seeing the eggs, will try with my glasses on!

Back