• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much difference

whinnie

Hi

How much difference do the decent substrates make over none or cheap ones, i have recently joined ukaps and knew nothing prior to reading here, i unfortunately went with a full load of just normal play sand from argos and cycled fishless then bought the fish etc, i am now wondering if i've made it impossible to grow decent plants? Would it be worth the time to remake the tank, and especially with the ada soils i read that it will take three weeks to sort itself out before i can put the fish in so would need to buy a secondary tank!

Basically, just how much of a difference does a decent substrate make?

Hi Winnie

Google Eco Complete plant substrate

There are loads of other substrates i use eco and think it a stunning product for the price and dose not raise ammonia levels so you could do the rebuild in a day and its not as expensive as the other products and just as good have a read here http://www.aquascapist.com/substrates/c ... substrate/ before you decide

You can buy eco for about £20 for 20lb bag stocked at most good LFS

sussex_cichlids said:
Hi Winnie

Google Eco Complete plant substrate

There are loads of other substrates i use eco and think it a stunning product for the price and dose not raise ammonia levels so you could do the rebuild in a day and its not as expensive as the other products and just as good have a read here http://www.aquascapist.com/substrates/c ... substrate/ before you decide

You can buy eco for about £20 for 20lb bag stocked at most good LFS

Crikey Pete, where from !? FB have it at 29.99 :woot:

Many thanks I'll have a look at getting some of that

If your looking at dosing the water column then substrate choice isn't really essential as plants will be taking the nutrients direct from the water. Soils like Ada, columbo etc do contain nutrients and allow for a greater leeway with dosing. Eco complete is ok too but doesnt contain as much in the way of nutrients. Your sand should be more than enough should you be dosing fertilisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alastair said:
If your looking at dosing the water column then substrate choice isn't really essential as plants will be taking the nutrients direct from the water. Soils like Ada, columbo etc do contain nutrients and allow for a greater leeway with dosing. Eco complete is ok too but doesnt contain as much in the way of nutrients. Your sand should be more than enough should you be dosing fertilisers.

I disagree with this all depend on what plants you want to grow some plants like Crypts & E.Tenellus need a good source of root fertz you could use a root tablet with your sand but there downsides to sand it can get anaerobic and get toxic pockets of air trapped in it it can pack tighter around roots then gravel and can suffocate the plants roots of nutrients

Also did you say you have used play pit sand this will be a silica sand which is believed when used in aquarium it can induces algae problems

Also look in my signature the 2011 and 2012 tanks both done with eco compleate

sussex_cichlids said:
Alastair said:

I disagree with this all depend on what plants you want to grow some plants like Crypts & E.Tenellus need a good source of root fertz you could use a root tablet with your sand but there downsides to sand it can get anaerobic and get toxic pockets of air trapped in it it can pack tighter around roots then gravel and can suffocate the plants roots of nutrients

Also did you say you have used play pit sand this will be a silica sand which is believed when used in aquarium it can induces algae problems

Also look in my signature the 2011 and 2012 tanks both done with eco compleate

Disagree with which part?
I've used most substrates, sand gravel cat litter columbo etc. I found no need to add root ferts under crypts in sand, they flourished exceptionally well with out, as did the tennelus that was growing too. Yes, root tabs will also aid in growth but they aren't a necessity.
Nutrient rich substrates are beneficial as they supply extra food for plants but plants will happily flourish with just bog standard gravel if your dosing correctly!

I disagree with you that its possible to grow anything in just play pit sand without root tabs.

Yes most plants may grow but there are lots of fussy plants some more fussy then others you would get better results in the long run with a proper plant substrate and you wont have to worry about what plants you trying to grow with correct fertz, CO2 and good lights you should be able to grow anything without problems and achieve stunning results!!

If you can afford to do with a plant substrate then why not only going to make thing easier for you.

I dont think eco complete is complete anyway, the ADA soils are though.
You can read about substrates & which ones are really complete here http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13801
I have grown most plants in plain sand with no trouble at all, here is a picture of one on my sand substrate tanks....

bab3a5c6.jpg

Back