• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many times a day do you feed your fish

Frenchi

Hi again

I feed my fish 3 times a day I wouldn't say loads of food each session but a good amount.
1 st feed is flake and algae tabs
2nd flake and high protein
3rd is usually bloodworm and a bit of high protein

ypujuzuv.jpg

Do you think I'm over feeding ?

Thanks

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes your a feeder:D I never feed mine, I feed the shrimp:D Once every 3 days, I want the little devils to clean clean clean to earn there biomax treat. Ive never fed anything in a tank more than once a day. Am I a miser?

Last edited:
Generally a max of one very small feed a day, and one day a week with no food. For healthy fish in mature tanks.
I think its safe to say, few fish in our tanks die of starvation, indeed the opposite is probably the case. Plus the water quality issues with heavy feeding.

As has already been mentioned there are exceptions, e.g. discus, shrimps, Fry.
Treat em mean, keep them keen, works for me.

Yes your a feeder:D I never feed mine, I feed the shrimp:D Once every 3 days, I want the little devils to clean clean clean to earn there biomax treat. Ive never fed anything in a tank more than once a day. Am I a miser?

Im tighter than that with the ember tetras and sakura shrimp, in the 35l, they get fed once a week if their lucky and i actually remember

^^ :D[DOUBLEPOST=1399914807][/DOUBLEPOST]
Generally a max of one very small feed a day, and one day a week with no food. For healthy fish in mature tanks.
I think its safe to say, few fish in our tanks die of starvation, indeed the opposite is probably the case. Plus the water quality issues with heavy feeding.

As has already been mentioned there are exceptions, e.g. discus, shrimps, Fry.
Treat em mean, keep them keen, works for me.
I think I've lost a few due to starvation. But I don't want a smelly dirty tank in our lounge with uneaten food due to.me over feeding :)

Last edited:
I feed about 3 times a week. More than that and I get over fat fish and messy tanks. Hungry fish keep the tank clean :p

3 days a week one feeding of dried foods, 2 days a week 2 feedings of live food, one day random and one day nothing. I do think it depends a lot on the fish though, greedy fish are better off hungry but shy fish need lots of food to be active and look good. Difficulty comes when you have them both in one tank!
I will also regularly go 3 or 4 days with nothing when I'm busy.
Shrimp tank always fed daily or twice daily as high numbers but until over 50 feed nothing usually.

Well I'm a sure feeder then :-/ haha!! Could this be a algae issue then?
I'm going to reduce regardless ... Way too much eek !!!

I have to overfeed a bit because some of the fish are pigs and others don't get anything if I don't. Sadly, because of that I have to dump all the food at once and can't split the feedings.
If I have growing fish(which I normally always have) I try to feed as much as possible doing more water changes if I have to.
I once didn't feed a shrimp tank full of baby shrimplets who fell off a filter sponge from another tank, I think about 30-ish of them. I thought the food would go rotten because the tank had no fish and the shrimplets were so small. I presumed they'd find enough of biofilm/algae as it was a densely planted tank. To my surprise, after two months those shrimplets were tiny, hadn't grown one bit. I thought I stunted them but once I started daily feedings they grew up rapidly. Thought me a lesson. One can underfeed too.

In my 250 tank I have 2 Geophagus altifrons, 8 corys, 2 bumblebee gobbys, 1 pearl gourami, a nice rare spotted catfish (forgot name) :) 2 bristlnose with lots of baby's , 8 tetras .. And around 8 other small fish .. So maybe I'm over stocked there all very healthy and don't suffer any loss ..

I aim for 30 seconds a day of new spectrum pellets or new era flakes. If I over feed its usually less than a minute. This can be quite hard with rainbows that are monster eaters. But some times I just have to believe the barbs have enough food.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

At weekends we feed around 3 - 4 times a day but during the week it is either once a day or once every 2 days

Back