• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many cardinal/green neon/b. Briggatae in an ADA 60P?

Yeah I figured it’s more transport and stress related. No dead bodies around when I had a quick look this morning before popping into work so things are looking good.

Don’t think I’ll be able to bring livestock back as I’m on a flight and there’s water limits. Dont have check in luggage either

Can’t seem to find any green neons near me (Sheffield/Leeds/Doncaster). Anyone know where might have some? Most LFS have offered to order them in but it’s a waiting game as they keep getting delayed

Though I saw plenty in Germany!

Either way ... Otos seem to rarely share "disease" - likely it's starvation/capture/transport/stress related

But you may get some inspiration while in Germany
And I'd look into requirements for bringing back fish, shrimp etc

Working in an aquatics store, otos always arrive really skinny. I always make sure they have been fattened up in the shop for about 3 weeks before buying any.

Ordered 20 green neons from riverside up in Scotland for Thursday delivery! Looking forward to it.

Now, plop and drop or drop acclimate?

Ordered 20 green neons from riverside up in Scotland for Thursday delivery! Looking forward to it.

Now, plop and drop or drop acclimate?

riverpark? :) riverside is another store. Always drip acclimate for best results imo

Once you open the bag, it's recommended to add Prime to neutralize any ammonia present - just dilute in some tankwater first

I use a 5in1 test strip to quickly compare bag vs tank water (or enquire of shop) ... if pH, GH, KH are similar, I just net & add to tank as this is much less stressful than the "fish in a bag" scenario
Note that before adding new fish (I'm assuming you don't have a quarantine tank)
- 50% water change
- lights off
- reduced CO2

Drip acclimation should be done with aeration & very dim lighting, also avoid vibration/looming shadow stress - floating plant etc cover is helpful

If new fish arrive in stressed condition, I leave lights & CO2 off at least 1-2 days (assuming there's sufficient ambient light to observe new fish)

If there are dead/nearly dead fish in the bag, best action is to remove fish from that environs as soon as possible
Again if I know the water conditions of the shipping agent, I'll have prepped some tap water to match
If fish water condition is unknown, I'll still pour off fish into net & add to a clean bucket etc with tank water & Prime, then add air stone etc
Worry about separating out dead fish after
Then consider if these fish are best kept isolated or added to (community) tank

I've acclimated fish like this... for as long as I can remember:

When you get the fish home, leave the bag on surface for 20 minutes. Add a minimum of the same amount of water that's in the bag from the tank to the bag. Leave it a while (20/30 mins), then net the fish out of the bag to add to the tank.​

Back