• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How does one deal with dragonfly larva

i just watch with awe as they kill everything and eat it. they must have come in on new plants or live food.

I did a quick Google and one guy said that they are ambush predators and he simply snipped them in half with scissors when he found one sitting still.

Thank you Porksword. Yeah I saw a couple of them in action on youtube. Very scary looking buggers. That's exactly how I got rid of mine. They have a whitish transluscent body which makes it hard to spot them until they begin to move. They look like something out of the Aliens movie, really.

I have been trying to see if there are more of them hiding in the tank but either they are too smart or I have managed to get rid of them. Do they harm otocinclus? My tank's at its diatomic algal stage currently & I was kind of thinking if I could start adding the otos this weekend.

If they are whitish and transparent, I guess they are quite small. If they are Dragonfly nymphs (nymphs not larvae) they can grow to 2" or 3" and can certainly eat Otocinclus, small tetras etc as they grow.
If they are small it is hard to tell them from Stonefly and Alderfly nymphs, which are smaller and less dangerous.

Yup. They were about 2-3 cm alright. I didn't spot any last night or this morning. I hope I've managed to get them all. Creepy little buggers. I am gonna keep on looking for them. They ARE NOT getting my fishes. :twisted:
:rolleyes:

One thing or the other always.

I am due for adding fishes till the weekend anyways. Wish me luck guys.

I so badly want to get tropica plants but it's so difficult to obtain them. The nearest Tropica dealer is in Thailand and they don't have a website. Just a phone number. When I tried to call them, the people attending to the phone call couldn't speak a word of english & they either kept passing the phone from one person to the other. On my last try the woman just hung up :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Tropica doesn't have a dealer in Malaysia or singapore.There are so many of us enthusiasts here. Very disappointing.

Man! I just killed another one today. it was resting on one of the drift woods. I cut it into two pieces with scissors :twisted:

I don't know how I am going to add shrimps to clean up the diatoms in my tank when I am having creepy little nymphs / larvae running around in the tank. The good news is that it was much smaller than the previous three.

Suppose if i add a betta fish,..would he be able to hunt them down? Suppose I do add a betta,...would he attack my other future tank inhabitants like yamato shrimps, otos and cardinal tetras.

Back