• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How do water changes help?

Jaap

Hi

what are the benefits of water changes?
Do water changes help with algae and how?

Thanks

Basically, for the want of a more scientific answer :) The fish and plants are secreting waste bi products which build up into an ionic pea soup over time which encourages algae. The water change also helps by introducing oxygen into the water. See it as opening a window and letting some fresh air in.

"Many people associate the water change with control of the nutrient build-up, however, water changes in a high light tank are necessary because of the by-products of fish and plant metabolism. Dead or decaying leaves, protein and enzyme discharge, faeces, urine and detritus all decompose into ammonia if left in the tank. The purpose of the water changes, is to remove as much of this organic waste as possible."

Taken from UKAPS Article on EI courtesy of Clive AKA ceg-4048

What was said and you need fresh water to replenish trace elements if you don't dose your tanks.
Blimey I don't know what's in your water, but the trace elements in my tap water are 1000-1000000 times less than a plant needs....

lol i never need to add potassium
Are you sure, in most drinking water potassium is so low it isn't measured, but for plants is NPK are required in mg/l amounts. Are you sure you are not confusing with calcium ?

Are you sure, in most drinking water potassium is so low it isn't measured, but for plants is NPK are required in mg/l amounts. Are you sure you are not confusing with calcium ?
Thats the last time I drink and post :) Phosphate not potassium.
I've always been under the impression that if you used RO water only with no supplements the plants and fish would suffer for lack of minerals etc.
I have never measured anything other the potassium since I have extremely high levels in my water and was posting based what i understood to be good information.
http://www.grandriver.ca/water/2011_WaterQualityReport.pdf

Phosphate not potassium
Well in your water processing plant they add iron sulphate to the water causing the phosphate to precipitate out (flocculate) and handily bringing other nasties out of the water. Very common in US where ground water (and sewerage) is often polluted with heavy metals, from industry, killing the natural phosphate removing bacteria in the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation

No potassium mentioned in the report ???? Also analysis is for river and runoff water, not drinking water. Hopefully your water will have been processed which will be seriously different than the values in the report.
Well in your water processing plant they add iron sulphate to the water causing the phosphate to precipitate out (flocculate) and handily bringing other nasties out of the water. Very common in US where ground water (and sewerage) is often polluted with heavy metals, from industry, killing the natural phosphate removing bacteria in the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation
sadly we have poor water that we dont drink. And i have just started mixing my tanks with ro water ..
Have never been able to control algae here in this location either but 40km's away ive had pristine tanks.

Back