• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How can I fence off floating plants.

Mihai Varban

Hello. I'm currently growing some righteous floating herb in my 70 l Ciano tank. Amazon frogbit. I'd like to figure out a way to reserve some open surface area for surface agitation and for the light to penetrate to my high light plants (ludwigia rubin, s repens, hairgrass, elodea, bacopa - please correct me if any of these will do well in low/mid light). I want the rest of the surface shaded and crowded to keep GSA off my buces, anubias and crypts. I've see people using floating bits of hose. What do you guys use?

3ea4a3031a819e38ee82c47d3ee7b2f5.jpg
1ab18cc88745a9142903f4c59843d33c.jpg

I’ve done it like this ;) cocktail straws joined together. Floaters inside of the “ring”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use airline - make a loop and fit the ends together so it's air tight and it should float. Clear airline looks neatest. You can either contain the floaters in the hoop or put it above the other plants to create a float free circle.

You can use airline - make a loop and fit the ends together so it's air tight and it should float. Clear airline looks neatest. You can either contain the floaters in the hoop or put it above the other plants to create a float free circle.

I was having the same problem as the OP with some a Tropica 1-2 Grow pot of Salvinia , just used some airline and sealed the ends with a hot knife and then used the same to join the two ends to form a hoop so I only needed to secure it at one point.

Great Tip - Thanks !

FYI if you fancy going down the route of joining drinking straws together to form a floating loop Subway have green ones that might look less inconspicuous. ;) Just saying. Obviously treat yourself to some food before liberating a few :)

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your helpful answers! I got some spare airline laying around but I also like the fishing line idea a lot!

In one of my tanks i have some large crypts that grows to the top and a a section of the leaf somewhat floats at the surface and grows down again at the other end. Also have a water lily growing with several floating leaves and also a Nymphoydes with floaters. These all grow from and are anchored in substrate and in between all those anchored leaves the free floating plants, in my case Hygroryza aristata are retained and stay pretty well in place. :)

Kinda looks like this, using plants to fence off other plants.
DSC_0398.jpg

Last edited:
Back